cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Why do you not identify products made in China? Imported does not cut it.

I will not buy products made in China.  Anywhere else is ok.  You should identify country of origin and manufacturing.

16 Replies

"1038 - Before color television"  You mean there was life on earth before color TV?Well, there was - I can evendimly remeember B/W TV....

When did REI print their first catalog?  I can remember grabbing mine when it came and searching for goodies.  I think in the 60s the catalogs came out at six month intervals, more or less.

1938  was about to initiate some interesting times.  For how long wasREI able to order direct from Austria and how did the Co-op survive the war years?

I joined in 1963-64 or thereabouts and the fee had doubled to two bucks!!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@hikermor those are some good questions!  

Not sure how many answers we can come up with but @REI-JohnJ is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Co-op’s history! I’m sure he’d be happy to share what he knows!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ, ha! you're on the hook now, no pressure! 😰

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Please demand diversity in the suppliers to your vendors and manufacturers. Do not rely on one country too much as it is not a common sense and also in not our interest. 

0 Likes

uh, oh...I read the article, totally forgot about the ice axe offer several years ago, definitely screwed up not getting one, ouch! 😖

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

1/2 the products in your house probably came from China, why the need to climb on the high horse now? Will you be selling or donating those? Not likely. I speak for only myself, i don't give a hoot what you do.

*content removed*

A more long-term reason is the need for manufacturing to return to our country.  An economy without a strong manufacturing "foundation" is one that is not properly built for the future.

This is especially true for pharmaceuticals.  And, I imagine that if quality becomes a special part of US manufacturing community, its reputation will create a demand, and even warrant a higher return to the manufacturer.  With that, when we see "Made in the USA", most will want to seek out and purchase that item - if for no other reason to help our fellow citizen.  

PoppaHiker
0 Likes