cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Who would I ask for photography activities?

Just curious. We have an outdoor photography section on the conversations site now. And REI does also have outdoor photography advice on its website, like this article on wildlife photography (https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-take-great-wildlife-photos.html). I got curious, so I checked the website and I see that REI does offer some outdoor photography activities . . . in Colorado. 

When I'm outdoors, it seems like everybody has a camera. Tons and tons of people love to take photos of wildlife, scenery, and other aspects of the great outdoors. It seems like if REI offered such classes in other places, it could become a very popular activity. 

At the same time, it seems like there's a mission related opportunity here because it is also an opportunity to promote good stewardship. By way of example, I'm a wildlife photographer, and one of the biggest issues I have to deal with is the sheer number of people who use baiting and other unethical practices to get wildlife photos. We see that among professional wildlife photographers who do it. And we see that there are many who make a business of setting up shooting blinds and attracting animals to photographers . . . by baiting them, for example. Frankly, as a photographer who practices Leave No Trace, I am often appalled. I would like to see more events where people go do photography outdoors and in an ethical way. I cannot think of anyone better equipped to offer those opportunities than REI. 

But how would I go about asking for REI to organize such activities, including in my own area (DC area)?

Angie

3 Replies

@AngiePaddlesandMore 

Thanks for reaching out!

This is a great suggestion, we will be sure to pass this idea along to the appropriate teams. Thanks so much for taking the time to pass it along and for all the photography expertise you bring to our community here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@AngiePaddlesandMore in addition to @REI-JohnJ's response, you can always drop by your local REI store and ask to chat with a member of the management team - share your ideas with them and see what opportunities/options might be possible! Many stores curate or supplement their classes/topics based on what they hear is of interest to their local members and customers.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Awesomeness! Thank you! I would do that. But I do have 6 REI stores in my local part of the DC area, including a flagship store. Does it matter which one I stop by and ask at? I know the flagship is the local hub for rental gear. I have no idea if it's also the hub for events and such.

Angie

0 Likes