Highlighted

What can I do with a torn sleeping bag?

Hello -

I purchased a bishop sleeping bag a few months ago and unfortunately after a trip the sleeping bag was torn. It was practically brand new, and I am hoping either I am able to deal directly with the company or go through REI ( since this is where it was purchased). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted

@keileamarie we're so sorry to hear you've got a torn sleeping bag. Although this wouldn't be covered under our Return Policy (which doesn't cover wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents), there are a few different ways to have your sleeping bag repaired:

• Depending on how big the tear is, you could use a product like repair tape to patch it up
  • If it's a bigger tear, or something you want professionally repaired, you can reach out to Rainy Pass Repair, a company we've worked with for many years
  • Depending on where you live, you may also find a local business that is capable of repairing the technical fabric of your sleeping bag
  • Finally, the Bishop sleeping bag is made by Mountain Hardwear - similar to our guarantee, it's unlikely that a tear in a product will be covered by a warranty, however you could certainly connect with them at 877-927-5649 to inquire about repair options

We hope this information helps get you started!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

could you post a photo of the tear?  that would be helpful.  From what you've posted I'm thinking a needle and thread.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

And furthermore...(lol) visible repairs are a RED BADGE OF (backpacking) COURAGE!  IMO the scratches, scuffs, tears tell others you a veteran backpacker, with real street (forest) cred!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

LOL @Philreedshikes !  That is my perpetual conundrum.  I try my best to take good care of my gear, and really hate that first scuff or scratch, but am always aware that if seen on the trail with a pristine item, that I'll be perceived as a newb.

My solution has been to shop the Used Gear site first when I need something "new" (to me).  

Highlighted

Agreed. A nice patch would give the bag a certain mojo.

In fact, they should just make sleeping bags and tents with patches already on them to take away the shame of being seen with new gear.

0 Likes