cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What can I do with a torn sleeping bag?

Hello -

I purchased a bishop sleeping bag a few months ago and unfortunately after a trip the sleeping bag was torn. It was practically brand new, and I am hoping either I am able to deal directly with the company or go through REI ( since this is where it was purchased). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

0 Likes
5 Replies

@keileamarie we're so sorry to hear you've got a torn sleeping bag. Although this wouldn't be covered under our Return Policy (which doesn't cover wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents), there are a few different ways to have your sleeping bag repaired:

• Depending on how big the tear is, you could use a product like repair tape to patch it up
  • If it's a bigger tear, or something you want professionally repaired, you can reach out to Rainy Pass Repair, a company we've worked with for many years
  • Depending on where you live, you may also find a local business that is capable of repairing the technical fabric of your sleeping bag
  • Finally, the Bishop sleeping bag is made by Mountain Hardwear - similar to our guarantee, it's unlikely that a tear in a product will be covered by a warranty, however you could certainly connect with them at 877-927-5649 to inquire about repair options

We hope this information helps get you started!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

could you post a photo of the tear?  that would be helpful.  From what you've posted I'm thinking a needle and thread.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

And furthermore...(lol) visible repairs are a RED BADGE OF (backpacking) COURAGE!  IMO the scratches, scuffs, tears tell others you a veteran backpacker, with real street (forest) cred!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

LOL @Philreedshikes !  That is my perpetual conundrum.  I try my best to take good care of my gear, and really hate that first scuff or scratch, but am always aware that if seen on the trail with a pristine item, that I'll be perceived as a newb.

My solution has been to shop the Used Gear site first when I need something "new" (to me).  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Agreed. A nice patch would give the bag a certain mojo.

In fact, they should just make sleeping bags and tents with patches already on them to take away the shame of being seen with new gear.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes