Highlighted

Valve Failure on REI Campbed 3.5

The valves on my REI Campbed 3.5 have stopped working.  The pad is excellent shape, but the volumes no longer hold the air in.  (they have been troublesome for a while).  I tried a Thermarest Valve, but it is too small in diameter.  Any suggestions?  Can’t find a replacement Valve and it was an expensive purchase!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted

@Mallwei If you’ve had it for less than 1 year, just return it.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Mallwei  - We’re so sorry to hear that the valves are no longer working. Sometimes air pad valves get finicky over time, making them harder to twist open/closed and at times the plastic parts can break. Unfortunately, we do not currently have a valve replacement option for the co-op pads. If you’re near an REI store, we encourage you to stop in and see if one of our employees can help troubleshoot what’s no longer working with the valves. And as @Philreedshikes mentioned, within one year of purchase, you can ask about a return or exchange. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

As a longtime REI co-op member, I find this answer to be completely unacceptable.  Basically, what you’re saying is that, after one year, this camp pad is not replaceable and unrepairable - not cool; not what I expect from REI.  I simply don’t accept the statement: we don’t sell replacement valves ... why? What type of camping equipment is unrepairable, such that it has to be thrown away?

Like Mallwei, and like so many others I have seen posting online over the years, I have had problems with the valves on TWO REI camp beds and, like Mallwei, I have tried alternate fixes. REI knows this is a problem because when I went to the local store, the salesperson just sighed - he regretfully explained that there’s no known repair - just throw it away and buy another one.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

@JD_DE Thank you for reaching out.

One of the reasons we're most excited for this online community is the ability to hear directly from our members and customers with their ideas, suggestions, concerns, and more. A very good example of this is the desire of our members and customers for better options to repair their gear. Whether it is sleeping pads, trekking poles, backpacks, or tents, our customers want better ways to keep their gear working for them in the field (and out of a landfill). Please know that we take this feedback seriously and have passed it along to our Co-op Brands and merchandising teams. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us here in the community.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello,

I have a lightly used REI Camp Bed 3.5 that has given good car-camping service for several years. However, it leaked and deflated on my last trip. The source of the leak is one of the valves. It is not coming from the valve-to-fabric seal. Rather, a small stream of air rushes out of the valve itself. 

I spoke about this with an associate at my local REI store last evening. Frankly, she was less than helpful. She didn't seem very knowledgeable about the product, and the sum of her advice was, "Sounds like it's time for you to buy a new pad."

It is a nice pad and has no other problems. I don't want to have to send it to the landfill and then pay for a new pad. I need to get this one fixed if possible. Are there valve repair or replacement options?

Thanks.

Brad

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Gelignite13 

Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your sleeping pad. Can you give us a bit more detail on your Camp Bed 3.5? Do you know when you got it? Can you describe the valve? Or, better yet, post a photo? The REI Co-op Camp Bed 3.5 has undergone a couple of updates over the years and the valve has changed as well. Knowing which one you have can help guide us in making a recommendation to help you out.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well, it sounds like it’s now past the return time,  probably going to have to brace yourself for a new purchase 

good luck 

ps- it’s bad luck this only happens when you need it the most, I fear this more than getting lost or attacked by a bear 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes