cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

UPDATE: REI retail stores are temporarily closed until further notice

Co-op employees and members,

As the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak continues to spread throughout the communities where we all live and work, we have consistently looked for ways to help protect the health and safety of our employees and customers. Since our founding, REI has been about doing the right thing for our community.  

After a great deal of careful consideration, we are temporarily closing our 162 retail stores nationwide starting tomorrow, March 16, through March 27 I believe that is the right thing for our community. In fact, I believe it is our duty—to do all we can to help keep one another safe in this unprecedented moment. 

That also means all employees from our stores will be paid during this temporary closure. And, even with our stores closed, we will be working hard to do everything we can to continue to serve our customers. All orders through REI.com will get free shipping while our stores are closed. Customers who have questions about gear and local outdoor activities that they’d normally ask in our stores can get answers through our digital community, REI Conversations and Co-op Journal will feature articles that help people find ways to get outside even during these challenging times 

We’ve always been deliberate and transparent when making significant decisions about our business. This is a difficult decision for any business, and I do not make it lightly. Our decisions are grounded in the belief that there are more important things than business right now—we owe that to one another 

Know that we will continue to work closely with our teams and public health officials throughout the country to understand how to best serve your needs, and serve our customers as soon as local conditions allow. We’ll continue to share information with our members and employees as we move forward together into a future that’s hard to predict. 

In the meantime, thank you for your understanding, your patience and, most of all, for being a part of this incredible community. The outdoors remains a vital part of all our lives, especially in moments like this.  

Be well and take care of one another. 

My very best, 

Eric Artz 

President & CEO, REI Co-op 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
49 Replies

I've only been a member for about a month. Still waiting to know where, when and how to get that 20% off coupon I heard about. Want to use it on a new tent to help it be more "affordable". When you say you got it, can you tell me how? Or can anyone on here tell me????

0 Likes

@TammyB good question! Because you're a member, you have a 20% coupon, good on one full-priced item, that is good from 3/20-4/6 during our Co-op Sale. If you shop online with your membership, during those dates, the coupon will be automatically applied to an eligible item! 

In terms of "getting it," we typically communicate those coupons via mail and/or email!

0 Likes

Just recieved the email this morning after my post👍

REI was going to have a sale on the REI brand 20-26.  Will they have that online now?

0 Likes

@davidebert Thanks for reaching out!

Yes, our Co-op Sale will be occurring online, beginning on Friday, March 20th, including the REI Co-op Brand offer. As you can imagine, everything is rapidly evolving and our plan, as of now, is to reopen our stores on March 28. With that said, we will continue to evaluate the situation around the country and keep our members and employees updated as quickly as possible if things change. 

Hope this helps!

0 Likes

Since those dates literally coincide with the REI Brand sale, any chance of it being extended so that we can get into the store and check out the big ticket items before we buy?  OR, if we buy & need to exchange, that the discount will apply to the new item as well?  (Buying tents and sleeping bags for the first time.)

0 Likes

@RoseNoel01 thanks for reaching out - super good questions! A few thoughts:

• As of now, we have not changed the dates of the sale so purchases will either need to happen on REI.com or in-store (after we reopen); with that said, everything is pretty dynamic right now - we'll do our best to get the word out if anything changes!
  • Unfortunately, there is no way to get into our stores to check out the big ticket items before they reopen.
  • So, if you make a purchase, using your coupon, and need to exchange, we will honor the coupon on the new item (assuming it would have been eligible the first time).

Last thought - please ask us for help here in the community! We would love to provide suggestions, based on what kind of gear you want and what you'll be doing with it. You can also check out our Expert Advice articles for guidance!

Hope that helps!

I'm new to REI. It didn't take me long at all to be VERY impressed with everything: outstanding customer service, knowledgeable sales people at the stores, great on line support, fast answer when I called the call center (and the person actually spoke English and I could understand her), on line shopping with good daily deals and sales, fast shipping, & WOW...opportunity for community connections & conversations, etc. I could go on and on. Now to top it off, I see how much REI cares for their employees and their community and I see why all the employees I've met so far seem to love their job so much. BRAVO... what a great company!!!!  I can't wait until the Appleton, WI location opens up after all of this COVID-19 stuff is over, ugh!!!  In fact, I'd love to apply for a position there but now I'm thinking there may be a hiring freeze with all the self-quarantine and other closings and gathering rules in place here. Do you know if I can still apply here in Appleton???

@TammyB thanks so much for the kind words! We're so glad you've found a number of positive ways to interact with the co-op; we certainly think it's a pretty special place! As for Appleton, we'd love to have you apply, once we get through these store closures and have a clearer sense of the path forward - stay tuned!

0 Likes

I do have a 2 items I purchased online that did not fit when they arrived at my house. How do I return them with stores closed? I really need the money back now and can't wait until when stores "might" open again.

0 Likes