cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Unknown? Brand on vintage external frame backpack.

Vintage Pack 1.jpgVintage Pack 2.jpgVintage Pack 3.jpgVintage Pack 4.jpgVintage Pack 5.jpgGreat condition, 4 external pockets, 2 internal zippered pockets and complete pinned external frame. Exhausted Google and other searches to verify brand, resulting in tie in to early Kelty for the most part. Help appreciated, pics included. 

8 Replies

@Sleepnrkn Thanks for reaching out!

I love a good mystery, particularly when it relates to vintage outdoor gear! While I don't have any specific answers for you, I can say that the styling, particularly the black mesh on the back panels, resembles a backpack made by Gerry in the 60s and 70s. You can find a photo and short write up here. If you look at the photos on that blog post you can see some of the similarities in the frame and the mesh used for the back panels.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any iteration of the Gerry logo that looked remotely close to the logo on your pack. Honestly, I think it looks like it reads: SHERPA. That's a pretty generic term (at least when you're using internet search engines) so I'll have to keep looking in a more analog fashion and see if I can dig up anything in some old catalogues. 

In the meantime, hopefully our amazing community of longtime hikers and backpackers might be able to lend some of their experience. What say you @Philreedshikes and @OldGuyot?

Hope this helps, looking forward to following this thread!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

so far, no clue. hard to see the logo, even when expanded.  Can we get a better photo? I can't even tell what the logo is.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes 

If you go to @Sleepnrkn's profile page and look at the pictures there you can make them quite large. When I embedded them into the post I intentionally made them smaller so they would all fit. Thanks for looking!

John

0 Likes

First time using this type of platform, so thanks for help with pictures! The logo does in fact read SHERPA, I also read info regarding GERRY brand name which then kept me going towards early Kelty models. Will go over pack frame in detail for additional hints.

@Sleepnrkn 

Found this, not much

FB676D15-B2E7-4A37-9249-002631F9CA17.png

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Nice find!

0 Likes

No idea but I did find this interesting article...

“External Frame Backpacks – Applying the Old Ways to the New Journeys” by Markus Kittner

The first backpack I used in the 70s was basically a variant of the Bergens pack.  It was made from canvas, steel and leather. It was used but in nice shape when I got it so I'm guessing it was from the 60s but it might have been older.  I did a 2 week trip with it and it wasn't very comfortable which may be why I move on to stereos as a gear interest.  I only really got back into backpacking 10 years ago.  The trauma took that long to heal...

@Sleepnrkn 

Also, as a head's up: your photos weren't showing up in your post, only on your profile page. I went ahead and edited your post so they would be visible to everyone. Thanks!

John

0 Likes