cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tried to defunk my backpack...

...and ended up infusing my pack with artificial, citrus'y, antibacterial chemicals.

I did not take into account the absorbency of the very material I was cleaning,nor the strength of detergent I used.

Do I have any options aside from (or in conjunction with) repeated soaking-and-rinsing in fresh water? 

My pack is a Granite Gear, and the removable hip belt had been spared, but the shoulder straps and non-removable, foam-like pad structure in the back absolutely reek of cleanser.

Help! (And thanks)

0 Likes
3 Replies

@Julia123xyz Thanks for reaching out!

While there are a lot of options for removing the 'funk' smell from your gear, the options for removing the cleanser smell from cleaners is a bit more challenging. Your best bet is to rinse your pack with fresh water, maybe multiple times, to flush out the smell, drying it outside out of direct sunlight if possible. If that doesn't work, you could try a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and warm water. If you used a cleaner with a fat/waxy base, you may need to use hot water and dish soap to break up the bond to your synthetic gear.  

Any time you need to need to clean or remove odors on your gear, we recommend using a non-detergent based cleaner like Nikwax Tech Wash or an enzymatic cleaner like Rockin' Green Platinum Series Active Wear Detergent

Hopefully this helps, best of luck!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, @REI-JohnJ, much appreciated! I'll continue my soak/rinse/dry activities...

0 Likes

I was going to recommend that, but @REI-JohnJ  beat me to it!

If it was me, I'd re-rinse, then leave outside for a couple of days.

I've heard that sunshine is the best disinfectant.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes