cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

The North Face Furnace 20 Sleeping Bag

I just recently purchased this sleeping bag and I'm wondering if, because it is a down bag, it will still keep me warm when there is a lot of moisture in the air. I intend to go backpacking near the ocean and was wondering if that could effect how well it keeps me warm. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hi @Chance 

Thanks for the question! Moisture is definitely something to consider when it comes to keeping yourself warm. While down really excels in cold weather, it can be negatively impacted by too much moisture. Down will not be a successful insulator when it does not maintain dryness and loft. 

This is one reason that sometimes a person will lean towards a synthetic bag. Synthetic insulation can still perform in wet conditions. It also will dry quicker than a down bag if it becomes wet.

With all that being said, your North Face Furnace, uses hydrophobic down. The down is treated in such a way to repel and prevent outside moisture and humidity from affecting the loft. 

Here is an article that further discusses the advantages and disadvantages of both forms of insulation. 

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hey thanks for replying....so just to clarify you think because my bag does use hydrophobic down that i should be fine when using it near the ocean where the air is full of moisture? @REI-AlyS 

0 Likes

@Chance 

I think there are still some concerns with a down bag but not a complete deal breaker. It’s just important to note that there is a greater opportunity for your bag to become wet because of the surroundings, regardless of if you are dealing with a down or synthetic bag. 

Also, in doing some additional research on this product, some users indicate that there is a layer of synthetic insulation used as well which may end up working to your advantage. 

Overall, the down is going to be resistant to moisture but this doesn’t mean waterproof. Are you planning on sleeping outside or will you be in a tent or other type of shelter?  This would also make a difference. 

0 Likes

@REI-AlyS 

I intend to sleep in a tent

0 Likes

@Chance 

Sleeping in a tent will give you the additional layer of comfort and confidence in using this bag!

Hope you have a great experience and I appreciate you bringing your questions to the Community!

@REI-AlyS  Thank you so much for answering all of my questions! 🙂