cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Tent Warranty

Hello! I received a tent from y’all as a gift from one of my friends last summer. I used it probably 10 times leading up to me traveling down to Patagonia for 4 weeks. 3 days into my camping in Patagonia my tent received serious damage from wind that resulted in the tent poles being bent into sub optimal positions and my tent stakes being blown away, and my rain fly being ripped. All this combined to create a tent that would not allow my friend and I to stay in. Is there any warranty to replace it? It is a REI Camp Dome 4. My family and I have been longtime customers and have always been satisfied with the products we purchase. Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies

@ED1 thanks for reaching out. Here's a quick link to our return policy which does not cover wear and tear or damage caused by accidents. From what you describe above, unfortunately it sounds like the tent's damage was caused by wind and weather, which we would not cover as part of our guarantee. With that in mind:

• We work with a company called Tent Pole Technologies for tent repair, including rainflys and pole repair/replacement
  • We sell tent stakes to replace yours that were blown away

Finally, if you aren't interested in trying to repair this tent and would rather replace it, we do have our Co-op Sale 3/20-4/6 that includes a member 20% coupon!

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

That's really weak. Especially considering that many of these tents were sold with a "Lifetime Warranty". And then REI rips that out from under customers...
Wind is not an "accident". It is an element one finds in every outdoor adventure.
If your products fail in the wind, it is a failure of design and materials.
There are scores of examples on your site alone and I am another. My HalfDome 2 tent poles just snapped in the wind as well last week leaving us in a dangerous situation and ruing a trip. Meanwhile my old Moss Stardome 2 from 1995 has endured far more challenging conditions and has never snapped a pole.

Most people die in the backcountry from exposure. Sending people out with such weak products, thinking they are structurally sound, is quite a liability...

On another note the REI air mattresses failed as well. The plastic valves are breaking down from the shoddy plastic. REI refused to honor that return to despite it being purchased while the Lifetime Warranty was valid.
I will never buy another piece of gear from REI...

0 Likes

@Zuma as included in this community's User Guidelines, "If you believe a product sold by REI has a condition or defect that might make it unsafe, please report this safety concern immediately by clicking here or calling 1-800-426-4840 or (253) 891-2500."

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes