cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: tent in the rain

I am heading for Mt. Rainer in a couple of weeks to camp out in my new REI camp dome 2 tent.  Our goup leader as emphasized that we should confirm that our tent seams have been sealed.  Are the REI camp dome tent seams sealed?

Our leader has also recommended that we apply additional waterproofing to our boots.  Do you all recommend a brand and or method of doing so.My boots are Oboz (dry). 

Thank you

2 Replies

@debbie Thanks for reaching out!

Sounds like you've got a great trip ahead of you, Mount Rainier is one of my all time favorite places! Are you hiking part of the Wonderland Trail?

All of REI's tents are seam sealed. A note of caution however: because the Camp Dome series does not have a full coverage rainfly, it does not have complete protection from the rain. There is a chance that the body of your tent will get wet from rain (splashing off the ground or because it is falling at an angle). You will want to be thorough in staking your tent out and using the guylines located on the rainfly to ensure the best tension and coverage. Also, because the rainfly is not full-coverage you will not have a full vestibule to protect your gear; we would recommend for this trip, if possible, for you to consider a different tent that does offer a full-coverage rainfly.

You're boots are waterproof as they are, however if you would like to apply a durable water repellent (DWR) treatment Nikwax is a good option there. 

I hope this helps and that you have a wonderful trip!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

thx bunches, John