cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

STOP THE MADNESS!

My son and his family were attacked at the Cincinnati store this past weekend. My 5 year old autistic grandson, who can't wear a mask, was discriminated against and not allowed in the store.  Also, his Mom was not allowed because they did not like the kind of mask she had on. 

Hey REI, a lot of us have been fully vaccinated, children are NOT spreaders and masks don't work. Remember King Fauci's first statement, until he had to flip flop to fit their narrative.  You obviously discriminate against those with special needs and your bank account will definitely suffer for this.

We will not be shopping at REI and we will be telling our friends and family to avoid this ridiculous place.

4 Replies

@crat 

Regarding our mask policy, we have taken a number of precautions to ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities in response to COVID-19. This includes, among other things, requiring our employees, as well as all customers older than age 2, to wear face coverings while at REI stores. If a customer is unable or unwilling to wear a face covering for health or other personal reasons, we have alternate methods of providing services, including curbside service, shopping on REI.com and choosing home delivery, virtual outfitting, and/or calling our Sales and Customer Support team. These options provide reasonable accommodations for customers with disabilities and meet the requirements of the ADA. While you may not agree with our approach, it is one that we believe meets the needs of our customers and employees while also complying with our legal obligations. Our store teams have been instructed to not permit entry to any customer who is unwilling or unable to wear a face covering or face shield.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Blah, blah, blah, typical liberal narrative.  What about your insensitivity and discrimination of those with special needs?  You all have obviously never been around an autistic 5 year old.  You being based out of Washington, tells me why you are following this liberal agenda, but guess what REI?  People are being vaccinated, people have the antibodies and children are NOT spreaders!  It's time to stop the liberal crap and move on!  We will be moving on to another retailer, our friends and family will be as well.

0 Likes

I haven't been to REI in ages and now that I'm getting into backpacking, I decided to become an REI member. I didn't know that REI were kicking people out of their store for not covering their face. When does it end?? When are you guys going to realize that this is madness? Please look at the science!! The CDC even says that masks don't work. Of course they also recommend to wear them, even 2 and 3 at a time. Finally we have vaccines for it, but wait, they recommend you continue to wear your diaper even when fully vaccinated??? Can anybody from the REI corporation see the discrepancy? Can anybody see that the mortality rate of covid is 0.26% and that you're stepping on people's individual liberties over a mortality rate that is lower than the flu?? Where are the measures when people die of the flu every flu season? Furthermore, there is no law that forces people to obstruct their breathing, by law I mean a real law accompanied by a penal code which explains the penalty for violating such law (think breaking and entering, kidnapping, assault). REI has no right to force me to obstruct my breathing and before anybody says "if you don't like the rules, don't shop there"... no, that is not how it works. REI is a company with a public license which allows it to enter in commerce with the public. This means that REI MUST abide by federal and state laws despite being a private company and MUST allow all members of the public to shop freely and equally. REI does not get to choose the persons that shop there and REI is NOT above federal or state law. It's very sad that REI is engaging in this ridiculous game and setting themselves up for lawsuits for discrimination. The person who complained above has all the merits for a huge lawsuit for discrimination against the little boy. Does REI realize that most stores and business are not harassing people anymore about masks? Not allowing me to enter the store without engaging in the mask ritual is false imprisonment and it's illegal and punishably by law. Giving me a hard time and making my heart race and making my family and I feel like excrement for wanting to shop and engage in commerce with the same exact benefits as everyone else, is harassment and also illegal, punishably by law. You do not get to decide what I do to my body, REI. My medical decisions are mine and only mine to make.  

0 Likes

@Skasch the precautions that REI has implemented have been based on guidance from national, state and local authorities to make sure we are operating in compliance with any restrictions and requirements that are in place. This includes compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (the "ADA").

As stated above, if a customer is unable or unwilling to wear a face covering for health or other personal reasons, we have alternate methods of providing services, including curbside service, shopping on REI.com and choosing home delivery, virtual outfitting, and/or calling our Sales and Customer Support team. These options provide reasonable accommodations for customers with disabilities and meet the requirements of the ADA.

We also continue to follow CDC guidelines, and you can review our health and safety standards to learn more. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes