cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sleeping Bags: What is the difference between Stuff Sack Volume and Compressed Volume?

I am planning a purchase of a new sleeping bag.  The ones I have were used for camping with Boy Scouts in South Texas.  Now I am planning a 7 day backpacking trip in the Olympic Mountains and am looking to get a "real" sleeping bag.  

My question is:  What is the difference between STUFF SACK VOLUME versus COMPRESSED VOLUME?

1 Reply

@Highlander51 Thanks for reaching out, great question!

When you see stuff sack volume and compressed volume listed in the specifications of a sleeping bag, the stuff sack volume is the volume of stuff sack the sleeping bag will fit into, and the compressed volume is the smallest the sleeping bag will become in a compression sack. A stuff sack and compression sack are effectively the same thing with one major difference: a compression sack has straps that allow you to compress the sleeping bag down to its smallest possible size.

You will notice that in the specifications of a sleeping bag that the volumes listed for stuff sack volume and compressed volume will be different (with the compressed volume being smaller). However, if you are purchasing a stuff sack or compression sack separately from a sleeping bag they will be very similar as they are listed by total volume, not compressed volume. So, if your sleeping bag fits in a 10L stuff sack, you would also want a 10L compression sack, knowing that it will compress down significantly from that volume.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes