cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sleeping Bag Foot Vents

Hi,

I was looking into a Nemo sleeping bag because I'm a bigger guy, side sleeper, and tend to toss a bit while sleeping. I was curious if any of the Nemo bags had foot vents. I often like to sleep with my feet out. If not, is there another option that would be good for me?

Thanks,

-Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@justrob Hey Rob, great question!

As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself that 'wow, it sounds like he's describing me!' I, too, am a bigger guy, side sleeper, and I hate having my feet hot (or even too warm). Unfortunately, wishing for more space and the ability to dump heat in a sleeping bag puts us in the extreme minority...in fact, you could say that sleeping bag manufacturers are doing their best to achieve the opposite of that! I know that NEMO has bags with venting options but I am not aware that any are in the footbox. That being said, there are a couple of options that I have tried that may or may not work for you depending on what kind of sleeping bag you need for your adventures.

Because I live in Alaska and even a trip in the summer might result in below freezing temperatures and snow I use an REI Co-op Igneo 17 sleeping bag. I chose it for it's weight (under 3 pounds), temperature rating (I run warm enough I can push this bag down to zero and be comfortable), and, most importantly, it's one of the few sleeping bags that comes in a wide (68" glorious inches of shoulder girth). That allows me to move around and get comfortable on my side, which I prefer. I find that if I unzip the bottom of the zipper I can get my feet out of the bag and the footbox rests on them kind of like a quilt would. If it's cold I can put on wool socks and still be comfortable. If its colder than that I pull them in the bag, zip it closed, and I'm good to go.

Because I run so warm and like to have my feet out I am considering a backpacking quilt set up sometime in the future. I like the versatility of it and I think I'd be able to regulate my temperature better. It might be worth considering for you as well.

Lastly, I encourage you to check out some Big Agnes sleeping bags. For many years I used a Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag and loved it! The zipper runs all the way to the end of the bag so it is easy to open and vent your footbox. Additionally Big Agnes bags are the roomiest bags I've ever slept in and their system by which they attach to the sleeping pad makes it super comfortable to roll over and not have your sleeping bag roll with you and make you feel like you're wrestling the kraken. Depending on what kind of sleeping bag you're looking for I know that a lot of sleep sacks designed for hosteling and traveling have zippers that run down below the feet so if you're looking for something that isn't too warm that might be an option.

I hope this helps, best of luck on all your adventures!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes
2 Replies

@justrob Hey Rob, great question!

As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself that 'wow, it sounds like he's describing me!' I, too, am a bigger guy, side sleeper, and I hate having my feet hot (or even too warm). Unfortunately, wishing for more space and the ability to dump heat in a sleeping bag puts us in the extreme minority...in fact, you could say that sleeping bag manufacturers are doing their best to achieve the opposite of that! I know that NEMO has bags with venting options but I am not aware that any are in the footbox. That being said, there are a couple of options that I have tried that may or may not work for you depending on what kind of sleeping bag you need for your adventures.

Because I live in Alaska and even a trip in the summer might result in below freezing temperatures and snow I use an REI Co-op Igneo 17 sleeping bag. I chose it for it's weight (under 3 pounds), temperature rating (I run warm enough I can push this bag down to zero and be comfortable), and, most importantly, it's one of the few sleeping bags that comes in a wide (68" glorious inches of shoulder girth). That allows me to move around and get comfortable on my side, which I prefer. I find that if I unzip the bottom of the zipper I can get my feet out of the bag and the footbox rests on them kind of like a quilt would. If it's cold I can put on wool socks and still be comfortable. If its colder than that I pull them in the bag, zip it closed, and I'm good to go.

Because I run so warm and like to have my feet out I am considering a backpacking quilt set up sometime in the future. I like the versatility of it and I think I'd be able to regulate my temperature better. It might be worth considering for you as well.

Lastly, I encourage you to check out some Big Agnes sleeping bags. For many years I used a Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag and loved it! The zipper runs all the way to the end of the bag so it is easy to open and vent your footbox. Additionally Big Agnes bags are the roomiest bags I've ever slept in and their system by which they attach to the sleeping pad makes it super comfortable to roll over and not have your sleeping bag roll with you and make you feel like you're wrestling the kraken. Depending on what kind of sleeping bag you're looking for I know that a lot of sleep sacks designed for hosteling and traveling have zippers that run down below the feet so if you're looking for something that isn't too warm that might be an option.

I hope this helps, best of luck on all your adventures!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks, John. Very helpful. I'll follow your advice and look into what you've suggested.