cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Signal 28 Backpack: What's the purpose of the hidden zipper?

I have just bought a Signal 28 with which I am quite pleased. There is one question - Why is there a zipper at the inside top of the main compartment installed with the pull tab on the inside of the pocket, out of reach? If this is meant to be secret and secure, it is certainly that!

Thank you,

Pete 

0 Likes
2 Replies

@SFPete Thanks for reaching out!

We're glad you're enjoying your Signal 28 pack! We reached out to our designers and they said that the zipper to which you are referring is how the back panel sheet is installed. This particular pack has a stiff back panel and was constructed a bit differently than some of our other packs. The slider on the zipper is flipped to actually discourage you from thinking it is a functioning pocket! 

Great question, thanks! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JohnJ wrote:
...The slider on the zipper is flipped to actually discourage you from thinking it is a functioning pocket! 

I've seen this on other packs and luggage. It's actually a feature in case of damage to the bag, e.g. a tear, because it makes it easier to access the innards to make repairs. I've also used a similar zipper on the top inside to replace the foam back panel with a thicker one. 

...Wanderer
0 Likes