cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Selecting light weight rain clothes

I am looking for lightweight rain gear for backpacking. I've purchased some in the past that fits into a small bag when rolled up. However, I cannot determine from the website which ones meet that requirement. Is there a way to search on ones that come with a small bag to stuff in a backpack?

0 Likes
5 Replies

@JMcGregor we have a few questions before we can provide a really clear answer. Are you looking for rain clothing that actually comes with a small bag? Or just rain clothes that will back down small enough to fit in a small bag? Would it be acceptable if the rain layer packs into one of its own pockets or do you want a separate bag entirely? Let us know and we'll advise!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I would prefer separate pants and a jacket (men's) that fit into small seperate bags.

0 Likes

@JMcGregor thanks for the response! So, it doesn't sound like the jacket or pants is required to have a separate bag that comes with it, just that each will pack down small enough to fit in a small bag. Assuming that is accurate, we've narrowed the search on REI.com for packable jackets and packable pants.

Within those categories, we'd recommend looking at these options:

Hope this helps get you started!

0 Likes

I would prefer items that do come with separate bags. What can you recommend.

0 Likes

@JMcGregor ah, this gets trickier, as very few (if any) of our rain layers come with their own stuff sacks. Years ago, we did carry a line of rain jackets and pants that came in their own bag - unfortunately we no longer carry those. So, one option would be to purchase 2 small stuff sacks to use with your jacket/pants, something ~2.5L each, or ~4 to put both in. Another option would be jackets/pants that stuff into their own pockets - here are a few examples you might consider:

• Outdoor Research Helium Rain jacket
  • REI Co-op Rainier Rain jacket 
  • Columbia Glennaker Lake Rain jacket

For each of those, you'll see an image of the jacket packed into its own pocket.

Sorry we don't have exactly what you're looking for but hopefully those give you a few alternate ideas for how to get your jackets/pants packed down for backpacking!

0 Likes