cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Roomy Sleeping Bag Recommendation for Newbie

I need some help picking a sleeping bag.  It will be used mostly for car camping probably 3 times a year. Glamping, really.  And I'm a big guy, at 6' 2" and 250 lbs with broad shoulders.  I'm sure I'm going to want as roomy of a bag as I can reasonably manage, but I don't really know what's going to feel roomy and it's hard to tell from the descriptions and reviews.

I'll be camping only in the summer, so a 40F bag is probably fine.  A rectangular bag that can be zipped together with another is a must, as I'm pretty sure it will be even harder to convince my girlfriend to come with if she's not able to snuggle up with me.  

I'm looking at the The North Face Dolomite 40 long version.  At the clearance price it seems like a good value.  Is that a good bet?  Is it going to be roomy enough?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@EricGleason Thanks for reaching out!

When looking for a sleeping bag with some extra room, the measurement you want to focus on is the 'shoulder girth' measurement. A 'typical' mummy bag will have a shoulder girth measurement somewhere in the 58" - 64" range, with some brands, such as Big Agnes, giving you a little more room. Some sleeping bags come in a wide, which is what I use, and that gives me 68" of shoulder girth. I am 6' and 275 lbs for some perspective on what works best for me.

Additionally, if you're looking for a sleeping bag combo that you can zip together, there are two things you want to look for in the sleeping bag:

1. If the sleeping bag unzips completely (all the way down around the foot area) they should be able to zip together without any trouble (this would be the case for the Dolomite sleeping bag).
  2. If they don't unzip all the way around the foot box, make sure that you purchase sleeping bags with their zippers on opposing sides. For example, a 'right side' zipper will have a zipper on the right side of the sleeping bag as you are in the bag laying on your back. If you want to connect it to another sleeping bag that sleeping bag will have to have a zipper on the 'left side'. (This is mostly something think about mainly if you are using mummy or a semi-rectangular sleeping bag system).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like North Face lists the girth of the Dolomite 40 sleeping bag. I would estimate that it would be somewhere in the mid sixties in terms of girth (typical of a rectangular sleeping bag). I would also recommend looking at the REI Co-op Siesta 30 Sleeping bag. It lists its shoulder and hip girth at 66", which should be comfortable for you.

One last thought: some sleeping bags, such as the Siesta Sleeping bags from REI, will come in a 'Double' model with two sleeping bags included. Be extra careful as sometimes those sleeping bags have less girth as individual bags. The Siesta single sleeping bag has a shoulder girth of 66", but the Double version has a shoulder girth of 60" when separated. You're losing 12" buying them as one unit.

Hopefully this helps a bit, don't hesitate to let us know if you have other questions!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes
4 Replies

@EricGleason Thanks for reaching out!

When looking for a sleeping bag with some extra room, the measurement you want to focus on is the 'shoulder girth' measurement. A 'typical' mummy bag will have a shoulder girth measurement somewhere in the 58" - 64" range, with some brands, such as Big Agnes, giving you a little more room. Some sleeping bags come in a wide, which is what I use, and that gives me 68" of shoulder girth. I am 6' and 275 lbs for some perspective on what works best for me.

Additionally, if you're looking for a sleeping bag combo that you can zip together, there are two things you want to look for in the sleeping bag:

1. If the sleeping bag unzips completely (all the way down around the foot area) they should be able to zip together without any trouble (this would be the case for the Dolomite sleeping bag).
  2. If they don't unzip all the way around the foot box, make sure that you purchase sleeping bags with their zippers on opposing sides. For example, a 'right side' zipper will have a zipper on the right side of the sleeping bag as you are in the bag laying on your back. If you want to connect it to another sleeping bag that sleeping bag will have to have a zipper on the 'left side'. (This is mostly something think about mainly if you are using mummy or a semi-rectangular sleeping bag system).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like North Face lists the girth of the Dolomite 40 sleeping bag. I would estimate that it would be somewhere in the mid sixties in terms of girth (typical of a rectangular sleeping bag). I would also recommend looking at the REI Co-op Siesta 30 Sleeping bag. It lists its shoulder and hip girth at 66", which should be comfortable for you.

One last thought: some sleeping bags, such as the Siesta Sleeping bags from REI, will come in a 'Double' model with two sleeping bags included. Be extra careful as sometimes those sleeping bags have less girth as individual bags. The Siesta single sleeping bag has a shoulder girth of 66", but the Double version has a shoulder girth of 60" when separated. You're losing 12" buying them as one unit.

Hopefully this helps a bit, don't hesitate to let us know if you have other questions!

John

0 Likes

Thanks for the info!  I found another site that did list the shoulder girth of the Dolemite 40 at 68" for the long version, so that's what I bought.  It's a pretty good fit, with just enough room to roll over onto my side.  

@EricGleason,

Glad to hear you found the right sleeping bag for you! Thanks for following up with us!

John

0 Likes

wiggies makes custom bags/  xwide and x long.   govt changing camo colors and he purched ,, the inventory of the old colors and has them pretty cheap .

0 Likes