cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Returning an old purchase

We have a new, unused (in a unopened delivery box) bike stand that was purchased in 2005. I know...  The item stock number is still available today in REI's bike stand inventory. Is there any chance we can return it, even for store credit?   

0 Likes
7 Replies

@pyc Thanks for reaching out!

Wow, 15 years is a long time! We see a lot of old gear but rarely something that old that is brand new. We appreciate the question about your purchase. REI's return policy states:

We stand behind everything we sell. If you're not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase -- except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase. 

As such, we are unable to accept the return of your bike stand. however, given that it is unopened, you will likely be able to resell it through another online marketplace.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have an REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus tent that I bought in an REI sale in 2015. It stayed in a cupboard in our house and was never used or even unpacked until today when I took it out to check it for a trip next week. I found that the elastic in cords that hold the tent poles together is no longer working and the elongated cords now actually prevent the poles from fitting together. I consider this a case of materials failure and I'm hoping REI will stand over it to at least the extent of a credit towards a new tent. Is that a possibility?

0 Likes

@MelH in a case like this, your best option is to visit your local REI store and talk with our customer service team, noting that our return policy covers one year after purchase so the store team may decide we are not able to return the tent. With that said, it's very surprising to hear that the shock cord has stretched out in just a few years with no use.

0 Likes

Thanks. I didn't realize it at first but replacing the shock cord seems to be a relatively simple process. I'll be giving that a try.

0 Likes

@MelH yes, that's one of the do-it-yourself fixes on tents that can extend the life a long time! In case it's helpful, we've got an Expert Advice article on how to fix a broken tent pole (including restringing the shockcord). Good luck!

0 Likes

I’ve got this exact same issue with the same tent — Quarter Dome 2 from around 2015. The shock string has lost its elasticity and never been used — kept in a controlled climate.  Bummer is that I’m checking my gear the night before the trip and will have to stop by REI on my way to the site to see if anything can be done. 

Must have been a bad batch. Hopefully they’ll stand behind their product. 

0 Likes

@lilliltaco 

We're sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your tent. We encourage you to connect with customer service at your local REI store. Additionally, it is important to remember that the elastic is at its 'most stretched' when it is in storage, particularly at the bends where the poles disconnect. When the tent is pitched the elastic is able to relax a bit before stretching again when the tent is taken down. In addition to the tips above for repairing your tent poles, you can read more tips about extending the life of your tent in this Expert Advice article, How to Store a Tent.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes