cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Returning an item ordered online that doesn't fit

Returning product ordered online was not an issue previously, as I could return to the store. Now that the stores are closed, I have to pay for return shipping. In the interim, I think REI should include a return slip or pay to return the item.  I think this would improve your online sales and come in inline with other  retailers.  What's your thoughts on this?

6 Replies

they're extending return times, which are a year anyway. 

you could just wait for that and return when the store reopens!

0 Likes

@JamesB thanks for the question! At this time, we are not offering prepaid return shipping. You do have our extended return policy, so if it helps at all, you can wait until our stores reopen to process your return in-store without any additional cost.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you Jen, I fully understand the policy.  My hope was that my suggestion might reach someone in a position with latitude in the organization as I feel it has real merit. Though I would like to see this policy changed temporarily during the store closures. I will still continue to shop at REI.  I do appreciate the generous 1 year extension and extraordinary customer I receive from your organization and look forward to you guys getting back to work at our local REI.

Thanks again for the quick reply and stay safe and healthy!

I have the same return question.  Since I was not able to do an online exchange for a different size, I am now out more than $200, having paid the credit card charge for this unwanted item.  Are there any updates as to when stores in the Atlanta, GA area will re-open?  Malls and restaurants are now beginning to open, so I was hoping the time may come soon for REI.  Thanks!

Hi there @ExpertTextpert ! 

While we have not yet announced a date for reopening our stores to the public, behind the scenes, we are preparing to launch new services to help our customers get the gear they need.

Availability of these services will vary by location. We are also preparing our teams for reopening, when the time is right. As we launch these services, and eventually reopen stores, REI.com  and your local store page will provide you with updates. 

Thank you for reaching out to us and being a part of our Community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thank you for your prompt reply, REI-AlyS!  Much appreciated.