cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: REI Co-op Statement on Violence Against the Black Community

As a cooperative, REI is built on a set of ideals that we hold dear—we are stronger when we come together.   

However, the heartbreaking racial violence and injustices that the Black community continues to experience across this country provides a stark reminder that for many, those ideals are not a reality.    

It’s just as stark a reminder for us at REI—that for all our ideals, we are still a long way from achieving them for all in our own community.    

We must do better.  

We must continue to challenge ourselves, and our community, to be better listeners, better partners, better advocates for one another. For us to see the change we want in the world outside, we must start inside.    

We will continue to work with our partners, across the country, who have worked for years in service of greater equity and inclusion in the outdoors. And we call on our entire community to come together with collective resolve and a commitment to respect, understanding and support.   

#BlackLivesMatter 

featured_article-for-all-statement.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
6 Replies

Good statement and great policy

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I hope someone from @REI-JenK REI shows some thanks to the girl that saved your store from being looted earlier today in santa monica.  This girl straight put her life on the line in order to prevent looters from raiding your store.  She stood her ground and your REI store in santa monica was saved.  Check the footage on @foxla 11 .. it was awesome.. I hope someone finds her.. 

Watching other channels, I wondered if any REI stores were affected by the violence. That lady earned complimentary membership and a whole lot more....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Please tell us if we can get stores to help protesters by donating foam for marchers who are kneeling day after day. I would be willing to assist in sizing and distribution. I think stores in most cities could have a big impact if they were able to do this. I originally planned just to go to a big box store to get this done, but REI could have an impact here, and save a lot of knees!

Thanks, 

julia in Seattle 

0 Likes

Please continue this conversation here.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes