cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: REI CO OP ADV 4.2 - for 2021

When will REI be accepting orders for the ADV 4.2, if indeed it will still have that model number.   Will there be any changes in 2021?  Thanks. 

5 Replies

@Tombo Thank you for reaching out!

The Co-op Cycles ADV 4.2 is not a model being carried over in 2021. Depending on what kind of riding you are looking to do, you could look at the Salsa Blackborow, which is a fat-tire cargo bike that can run varying sized tires from 26" x 4", to 27.5" x 3.25", to 29" x 3". Another option would be to add a Jones bar and a rear rack to a Co-op Cycles DRT 2.2, which has the same frame and tire size as the ADV 4.2. The Co-op Cycles ADV 4.2 was a niche bike build and, unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other similar options on the market for a cargo-hauling-plus-sized-tire-mountain-bike.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Wow, that's not what my local store told me 3-4 weeks ago.  Disappointing to say the least.   Is there a way to find out if there is a floor/display model at an REI store?  Preferably sized Medium.  I am 5'.  Can somebody search inventory across stores?  Thanks   Tom

0 Likes

@Tombo 

Tom,

Thanks for letting us know. We're sorry about the miscommunication. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability do store-to-store transfers of inventory, so if the bike is available it would need to be in a store that is close enough you are able to travel there. Your best bet is to connect with your local REI store to make that determination.

Lastly, thanks for including your height in your post. Have you been sized for a medium frame? We ask because the size range for the XS in that model is listed as 5'-5'3" and the XS is available to order on REI.com. Our size chart lists the standover height of the XS at just shy of 27", which correlates most closely to your total inseam length (inseam with shoes on). Personally, I have a total inseam length around 31" and I ride a medium Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1 (same frame and tire size as the ADV 4.2). That gives me enough standover height to come out of the saddle comfortably without worrying about hitting the top tube. There are lots of factors that go into a bike fit, however, for me it was important to have that clearance (I'm not a good enough rider to be confident that I will be able to stay in the saddle consistently on technical terrain).

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes

With unbelievable luck, I located one in medium at the Eaton REI location in Columbus -- 2hours and 125 miles south of Cleveland.   I talked to Carl and he put it on hold.  I showed up two days later.  We went over the bike and features and he sized me.  He helped pick out pedals and other accessories.  It was a great buying experience.  Carl is everything you'd want it a customer rep.  When installing the fender, etc., he noticed a minor mechanical issue and took care of it.  About 90 minutes later i left with my new ride and $2000 lighter.  Looking forward to a ride acrosss Slovenia and Austria next spring.  Thanks, Carl!  

@Tombo 

We're so glad to hear it! Thank you for coming back to tell us the good news! Please come back to the community and tell us about your trip. It sounds amazing!

0 Likes