cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Regret purchase of ebike from REI

When I visit or purchase items from the REI retail store (for decades now) I have always been treated kindly and quickly. When I decided to purchase a $3,500 cargo ebike, I was very happy to see REI sold Tern Cargo bikes. I ordered the bike from the Boston store instead of Propel in Brooklyn, which was my first incination - they provide exceptional service. I went ahead and ordered the Tern HSD from REI and was given a delivery date. From the very beginning they started jerking me around, pushing the delivery further and further into the future. I finally became too exasperated and asked to cancel the order. They said they would have it in the store, put together and ready to pick up all by the end of that very day, miraculously. I should have known better. Once I got the bike home and my husband started inspecting it (he's very good with bikes) he noticed just about everything that REI had to assemble (some of it comes from Tern pre-assembled) was put together wrong. This is coming from Tern whom we checked with on a couple of things and sent photos of how we received the bike. The worst thing by far is that the front "hydraulic" brake cable was chewed and mangled to the point it almost looks like fluid should be pouring out, but it has not, yet. Lastly, the bike contantly "auto-shifts," doesn't shift when it should, shifts when it shouldn't and the gears sound like a jackhammer when they do shift. It's a Tern HSD P9 so it has the gear/chain/derailleur system. Without a doubt, based on this fact-pattern, they grabbed an incompetent neophyte and had my bike THROWN together. This is beyond insulting and unacceptable. As I said, this is a $3500 bike!!!

I've had the bike about 6 weeks with one problem after another coming to light. my question is how long do I have to return this bike and what is the process I need to go through to bring it back to the Boston store? Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
1 Reply

@kellyLogan 

Thanks for reaching out, although we're sorry to hear it is because of your negative experience with your bike. Per our Return Policy, 'We stand behind everything we sell. If you're not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase -- except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase. Outdoor electronics include activity monitors, GPS-enabled devices, bike trainers, emergency-communication devices, and cameras.' As such, you have a year from your purchase date to return your bike. You simply need to take it to an REI store to process the return. We encourage you to reach out to the Boston store and ask to speak with a manager in order to explain your experience. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, we hope you will give us the opportunity to make it right.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes