cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

recommendations for waterproof hiking/walking shoe mostly in Seattle

Due to covid I am not comfortable coming into store to try on all your women's hiking boots. I have worn through 2 pairs of  Merrell Granite midcalf hiking boots- they look just like the Moab sold now. They no longer keep my feet dry and are pretty worn out. I am 66 and walk 4 or 5 miles every morning up and down the streets in south Seattle, often in the rain. I want a boot or shoe that had good grip for wet steep pavement. My issues are that I have a high instep bone that pokes up and makes many shoes uncomfortable to lace tight over it but I have a narrow heel and it is easy for shoes to slip in the back. I am a regular 8. I am short and some mid calf go up to high. I always wear my Darned Tough midcalf height socks. I had a terrible case of achilles tendenitis for a year and am finally over it. My Merrell sneakers seemed to have triggered it. Any recommendations? I am looking at the red Oboz Bridger BDry and the ObozJuniper right now on line, as they are on sale. Maybe they are too tall? I would like the sole to be somewhat flexible so I can bend my feet going ups and down hills. Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies

@rsl Thanks for reaching out!

While the Oboz Bridger BDry and Oboz Juniper are great boots, it is very difficult for us to be able to make a determination of whether they will meet your needs here in the community. We recommend making a virtual outfitting appointment to talk with one of our boot fitting experts. They can talk through all your needs, look at your feet and old boots, and make some specific recommendations that will allow you to buy with confidence. Additionally, take a look at this Expert Advice article, How to Lace & Tie Hiking Boots, for some lacing techniques that may help give you some extra room in your boot where you need it and still keep your heel locked down as best you can. Pay particular attention to the 'window lacing' technique for the top of your foot and a 'surgeon's knot' to keep your heel down.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks, I will.

0 Likes