cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Recommendations for Binoculars for Eyeglass Wearers

Hello,

I am trying to find a good pair of binoculars to use when I go camping with my 6 year old.  I cannot take my glasses off to use the binoculars.  My vision is so bad it wouldn't be safe.  

Bushnell NatureView Porro Prism Binoculars were recommended on another site, but I'm curious if REI has anything comparable.  (bonus if it's less expensive, though I know being nearly blind has it's price)

Thanks,

Bethany Aaker

0 Likes
1 Reply

@bostonbethany Thanks for reaching out!

When considering a pair of binoculars to use while wearing glasses, the most important feature you are going to want to focus on is 'Eye Relief'. Eye relief is the distance from the eyepiece lens to your pupil. We recommend an eye relief of at least 11mm for wearing glasses. However, if you're struggling making a pair of binoculars work with your glasses, you will want to get a pair with as much eye relief as possible. 

Here are a couple of options that REI carries that have fairly high eye relief:

Nikon Prostaff 3S 8x24 Binoculars

NIkon Prostaff 3S 10x24 Binoculars

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars 

You can also use this Expert Advice article on How to Choose Binoculars to find answers to a lot of questions about binoculars.

I hope this helps, have fun out there with your 6 year old! Thanks!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes