cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Recommendations for a car rack set up for a Thule Tepui roof top tent.

Hello. I am hoping to purchase a roof rack from REI for a 2012 Toyota Prius V 5-door wagon with a normal roof (overall width: 69.9 inches), that will support the Thule Tepui HyBox (or a similar hardshell 2-3 person rooftop tent from another company).

I've seen this setup recommended by REI for a 2014 Prius V:

• Thule Evo Clamp Foot Pack
  • Thule Fit Kit 145001
  • Thule Wingbar Evo 53" Load Bars or Thule SquareBar 53" Load Bars

I'm wondering if this applies to 2012 Prius Vs too. Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@CoMcC 

Thanks for reaching out!

Based on the Thule Rack fitting tool, the rack set up for your Prius would be:

However, that system has a weight limit of 165 lbs. When you use the Thule rack fitter tool to add a roof top tent, it says that this system is not recommended to carry a roof top tent and specifically calls out the static weight (tent plus the weight of gear and people). The Thule Tepui HyBox Wedge Tent is 177 lbs by itself and exceeds even the dynamic weight rating (when the car is moving) for the rack set up.

Unfortunately, as such, we cannot recommend you mount a roof top tent to your car with this set up.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes