cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Mens Hiking Boots

I am looking to buy hiking boots for my husband.  We are not avid long distance hikers but do enjoy get out in nature.  I am looking for recommendations on what boots would be good for the average hiker!

Thanks!! 🙂

0 Likes
3 Replies

@dsutt thanks for reaching out! We'll need a little more information about the feet we're fitting before we can offer specific recommendations - do you know if your husband's feet are wide, narrow, or medium width? Are they high or low volume (thick or thin around his arch)? Does he have any problem areas, like bunions? Even just a little guidance in these areas will help us give you a few specific ideas!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. He is a size 12 with medium to wide feet and a lower arch. He doesnt have any other problem areas with his feet that I know of.

Thank you again for the help! 🙂

0 Likes

@dsutt thanks for the answers! We have lots more questions (ex: is waterproof important?), but we'll at least provide a few suggestions to get you started. You asked for hiking boot recommendations, so we'll focus there, but if you want to explore hiking shoes as well, let us know!

•  Merrell would be a good brand to consider - they are typically comfortable for lots of feet and most models don't require much break-in out of the box. They sometimes run ~1/2 size short, so you may want to size up when you order (note that 12.5 can be a hard size to find). Check out the Merrell Moab models.
  • Keen is another brand to consider that runs a little roomier in the toebox; they also often run a little short, so sizing up would be recommended. Check out the Keen Targhees.

Let us know if you want more help narrowing down!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes