cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Rainfly for REI Camp Dome 6

Hi. We have an REI Camp Dome 6 tent that I now see is discontinued. The tent is currently in great shape but the rainfly is beginning to undergo serious deterioration. Is there another rainfly available that would be compatible with the Camp Dome 6?  I really don't want to have to buy another tent for camping when this one is still in such great condition.  Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi Swampy,

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that would be interchangeable.  You could do the, "throw a tarp on it" solution, but honestly that's not much of a solution.  You could also designate it as a summertime/fair weather tent.  Something to keep the bugs away and ensure a great view of the stars.  

Sorry there isn't a compatible replacement and hope these ideas help you enjoy your time outside!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

Are you talking about the REI Base Camp 6 tent? 

I have the same problem, tent is in great shape but the rain fly is deteriorating and on my last trip leaked pretty badly.   Is it the same tent and same answer?

@magnetgarden @Swampy Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately a replacement rainfly is not an item that is available to purchase on its own. As @REI-FrankF said you could purchase a tarp but that would require a bit of work to figure out how to pitch and stake it out to be most effective.

When you say that your rain fly is deteriorating can you elaborate a little bit on that for me? Does that mean that the fabric is wearing out and becoming threadbare and/or has holes in it? Maybe the seams are coming undone? Or does it mean that water is no longer beading up on it and/or the seam sealing isn't working any more?

The reason I ask is that if it is a waterproofing/seam sealing issue it might be easily remedied with some after market products like these to add water repellency and retreat the seams. There are also many products available to repair holes, tears, and seams that can give your rain fly new life.

You also might find value in a conversation I had with another member of our community about a tent issue. You can find that conversation here

I hope this helps, thanks for reaching out!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

It is the waterproofing/seals and the small "windows" on the doors have stiffened and cracked (duc tape worked for that).  But thank you for the waterproofing products!!!  I'm looking into now.  Here in VA we are getting storms weekly in 80-90 degree temps so the fly is hot and droopy then the storms pummel it.  I think a pause in camping and maintenance is a good idea.  Thanks again 

Image may contain: dog, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

@magnetgarden Thanks for the update and photo (love the dogs!)! If you have any questions about the products or how to use them don't hesitate to reach out here or one of the green vests at your local REI. This link to Expert Articles has several on tent care, maintenance, and repair. They are full of really good information that I encourage you to check out. Additionally, to help mitigate the 'sag' you get in your tent when it is hot and humid out, make sure you are storing the tent properly after each use, that you allow it to dry out fully before putting it away, and you try to avoid too much exposure in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time if possible. I also recommend making sure you are staking out and running guylines to achieve good tension on the rain fly.

All of those tips will help you get the best performance out of your tent. Thanks for the question and I wish you many more adventures with your gear!

John

p.s. Also as an FYI: The tent first mentioned was the Camp Dome 6, which is no longer in production and different from your Basecamp 6. However, these tips are fairly universal for tents and rainflys. Thanks for chiming in and being an active part of our community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  I love this tent and will take even better care of it!

0 Likes