cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Rain jacket for Patagonia in October

I'm excited to be traveling to Patagonia in October. I will be going on day hikes only, no camping. Please recommend what sort of jacket I should bring. I considered a 3 in 1 jacket but now wonder if a fleece jacket & lightweight waterproof rain jacket would be better. I live in the tropics & will need to purchase online, so it's impossible to try on. Any suggestions you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@elaine thanks for reaching out - sounds like a great trip! The gear checklist for the REI Adventures trip to Patagonia in a similar timeframe to when you're going specifically requires an insulated (not fleece) jacket and a hooded/lightweight/waterproof/breathable jacket. The majority of the 3-in-1 jackets we sell at REI are ski/snowboard-specific, so if you choose to go with a 3-in-1, ensure you aren't getting ski/snowboard features (like a powder skirt or helmet-compatible hood) that you don't need for your current trip. Also, you will want to ensure that the inner layer is either down or synthetic (not fleece) and that the outer is a lightweight waterproof rain jacket (not a heavier ski jacket). Regardless if you go with a 3-in-1 or separate pieces, here's a link to an article that may help pick the insulated layer and a link to an article that may help with the rain jacket. Finally, each brand fits slightly differently; hopefully our product reviews will provide some guidance on fit, but know that you may need to order a few styles to find a good fit. Hope this helps and that you have a great trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
1 Reply

@elaine thanks for reaching out - sounds like a great trip! The gear checklist for the REI Adventures trip to Patagonia in a similar timeframe to when you're going specifically requires an insulated (not fleece) jacket and a hooded/lightweight/waterproof/breathable jacket. The majority of the 3-in-1 jackets we sell at REI are ski/snowboard-specific, so if you choose to go with a 3-in-1, ensure you aren't getting ski/snowboard features (like a powder skirt or helmet-compatible hood) that you don't need for your current trip. Also, you will want to ensure that the inner layer is either down or synthetic (not fleece) and that the outer is a lightweight waterproof rain jacket (not a heavier ski jacket). Regardless if you go with a 3-in-1 or separate pieces, here's a link to an article that may help pick the insulated layer and a link to an article that may help with the rain jacket. Finally, each brand fits slightly differently; hopefully our product reviews will provide some guidance on fit, but know that you may need to order a few styles to find a good fit. Hope this helps and that you have a great trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.