cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Rain Jacket and Wind Shell in 1?

Hi, I am looking for a rain jacket that's lightweight, packable, and suitable for traveling and backpacking; that can ideally double as a wind shell.

Do you have any suggestions?

I was looking at the REI Co-op Flash Jacket, and didn't see any mention about rain. How well would this work as a rain jacket?

Thanks!

1 Reply

Rain Jacket and Wind Shell in 1?

@selena Thanks for reaching out!

For starters, the REI Co-op Flash Jacket is a great jacket but it is not waterproof. It is treated with a durable water repellent (DWR) to shed light moisture but it would not be ideal for a waterproof shell over the long term or for the rigors of backpacking. The good news is that any jacket that is designed as a waterproof shell will also be windproof!

That being said, there are many options to choose from. Once you have narrowed it down to a couple of options I would think about the length of the jacket (if that's important to you) as well as other features like the hood (whether its adjustable or fits over a helmet) and the amount and location of pockets. Personally, I look for an adjustable hood and hand pockets that sit up above the hip belt when I'm wearing a backpack. The REI Co-op Drypoint GTX Jacket is a really good example of those features. 

I hope this helps, best of luck with your search! Thank you!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes