cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Questions about REI's return policy and return shipping information

I was planning to bring a return into the store before my 30 days is up but with store closing I’ll need to mail it in.  Can I get a free shipping label?

0 Likes
9 Replies

@Jihaley1, because you referenced the 30-day return window, it sounds like you are looking to return a Used Gear item - is that correct? If yes, you actually initiate the return process here as all returns of Used Gear must be processed through our Used Gear Returns Portal.

If you are not returning an item purchased on our Used Gear website, please contact our Customer Support team at 1-800-426-4840 for further assistance with your specific order.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I have a new item I was planning to return before 3/27. I called the number you offered and have been on hold for quite some time. An answer here would relieve some stress on the call center. I'm sure many of us have this same question. 

0 Likes

I've been on hold for over 35 mins now. ;( A reply here would be helpful. This is for an item that cannot be returned after 3/27.

0 Likes

REI can correct me if I am wrong, but you have a year or 90 days depending on the item if it is new.

https://help.rei.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47/~/return-policy

I need to return some backpacks and will be waiting until the stores open back up.

0 Likes

@tardog thanks for the post! We actually have a 1-year satisfaction guarantee on new items, 90 days on electronics, and 30 days on used gear. We'll look forward to taking care of your return after March 27!

0 Likes

@maria just noticed your additional post about the 3/27 date. We will be looking to take care of our customers to the best of our ability once stores reopen. We will have flexibility to extend return dates as necessary, within reason. So hopefully that can give you a bit of reassurance about your current return.

@maria we're so sorry for the long wait times with our Customer Support team; as you can imagine, they are helping lots of folks in similar situations. If you have a new item to return, our regular Satisfaction Guarantee will apply, which gives you one year from date of purchase to return your item, and we will certainly be working to take care of our customers once our stores reopen. You can also process a return via mail. Does this help more? Please let us know if not and we'll try to provide more information!

OK..... I have read through this stream - the takeaway.  If a customer has new items to return that were purchased after 12/15/19, but before 3/15/20, they have to wait to process any returns when the stores re-open or absorb the cost of return shipping the items back to REI.  Correct?

0 Likes

Hello @terryprouty 

I am hoping to answer your question and clarify some of the previous information given. I am sorry that throughout this time there has been some confusion and even frustration. 

The good thing is that our normal return policy has not changed. You still have 90 days for electronics and one year for our satisfaction guarantee. The dates only become important or necessary for folks who wish to return items in store and the store remains closed past their return deadline. With that being said, if you missed your deadline because your local REI was not open for business, feel free to bring that item in when the store re-opens and we will honor those returns even if you are now past the typical return window. 

If you would like to return the item promptly through mail services, you can do this as well. Unfortunately, REI does not provide pre-paid return labels when they ship product. If you need assistance with shipping the product back, it would be best to reach out to our online team via one of these channels. 

I might add that during the end of our sale over this weekend, the call center is experiencing higher than normal call volume and increased wait times. If it is feasible to wait until the beginning of the week, you should have a better experience. 

Hope this clears things up and that we have an option that will work for you. 

Thanks!

0 Likes