cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Product Returns during store closures

What is the policy for product returns during the closure of the stores? I have two products I received via mail order to return and usually return all my purchases in store. Will a waiver be granted for the standard 90-day return policy?

Thank you!

10 Replies

@ZagsFan thanks for the question about your returns! Depending on what you purchased, we have a 1-year Satisfaction Guarantee on new purchases, limited to 90 days for electronics and 30 days for used gear. We will be flexible with return dates once ours stores reopen, however you can also process returns through the mail throughout our store closures - instructions here. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @REI-JenK the return labels through the mail are not prepaid, I have some large purchases I don't want to to show up with interest on my credit card, into a return can be processed, how can we return them without having to pay?

0 Likes

@codedoutdoors unfortunately, here in the community, we don't have a way to issue prepaid labels, so this request will need to go through our Customer Support team at 1-800-426-4840, noting that call times have been longer than normal due to a much higher-than-normal call volume.

I too, had a mail order return I would have brought to a store; in spite of living 1.5hrs drive from either of the closest stores to me.

So yesterday I was in phone contact with a Customer Service Representative. I consider myself to be a low key and affable person; but my experience was unpleasant at best, by my personal impression.

I’m retired, on limited income and was seeking guidance and support to return an as new condition Quarter Dome 1 tent (used one night only), so that I could essentially exchange (with dividend & 20% coupon) to the new Flash 1 tent; which I feel would work better for my needs.

In summary, the rep declared that my situation to do the return, as store access isn’t available, was not associated with a hardship, ie corona virus; and that if I wanted to do the return, it was my cost responsibility.

Almost an adversarial back and forth, she needed to “educate me” to policy. I found her manner to be rather patronizing and dismissive.

Finally, she grudgingly offered a UPS return voucher. But said it was a courtesy, a one time exception; and that she would note this in my customer file.
I want to be transparent, as to prior purchases and several returns. As I live at a distance from a store, I have bought and found it necessary to return items at times; as most all purchases were done online and usually because it was a sale or discounted item and free shipping was usually included. Until I could appraise how the item would work for me, I usually couldn’t establish that because I don’t travel that far to get to a store to see the item in person.

I’ve been really impressed and happy with REI, ie, products, education, community, etc. But this incident has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The Rep. placing some citation on my file is demeaning, and I would like that removed.

During irregular and mostly infrequent visits to a store, I found the staff to be wonderful and of utmost help.

If I were to encounter the experience I had yesterday again, either in store or telephone customer service, I think I would seriously consider ending my membership with REI.

@Tashmoo we are so sorry to hear about the negative interaction you had with one of our employees in Customer Support and want you to know that we have passed your feedback along to that team for follow-up.

I had a similar experience just now with a customer representative online. I really would like to return the two jackets I ordered because neither fits me. Normally I would return at my local store, but it is closed. I understand that you have a year-long return policy, but given the current situation with COVID-19 and economic uncertainty, it is stressful for me to have to wait for over $600 to be refunded back to me. I feel strongly that since there is currently no way to return in store that REI should be providing pre-paid return labels to customers rather than making us wait in limbo until stores re-open.

@kollak 

Thank you for the feedback about pre-paid shipping labels for returns. As you can imagine, our plans are rapidly evolving and at this time we’re looking at options for customer returns and expect to have updated information to communicate on this shortly. We will continue to evaluate the situation around the country and keep our members and employees updated as quickly as possible if things change.

0 Likes

Hi there, has there been any update to the status of mail returns for customers during this scary time? I've requested assistance with mail returns since returning on my own would cost a small fortune, and I have several large returns to make after purchasing items during the last REI sale. The situation in Colorado is rapidly changing and restrictions are increasing, and I really need to get these purchases off my credit card. Please help - I am very anxious that stores in my state will not re-open soon.

@denvercustomer @kollak we wanted to follow back up with you both about your requests for REI to issue prepaid shipping labels for your returns. In this unprecedented time, our teams are working as fast as they can to serve all of our customers' needs, including processing the returns we are receiving. Unfortunately, with the current level of returns we have received, and the possibility of further disruptions to our normal business operations, we simply are not able to facilitate a different return process than the one we currently have in place. If you have additional concerns, we would recommend contacting our Customer Support team at 1-800-426-4840 to discuss your options, noting that call times are longer than normal due to higher-than-normal call volume.

0 Likes