cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ospray Aura womens pack

Hi I was wanting to buy a Osprey Aura pack for my wife we use to back pack like every weekend but life happened and we quit for a few years. When we were backpacking we wanted to travel fast and light and far we would walk 5 to 10 miles a day unpack cook dinner go to bed get up cook breakfast pack up rinse and repeat. Now though we want to enjoy just being out in the wild, we plan on taking more weight as in we want to build camp fires which means axes saws and knives, cook stakes and ribs over the fire small backpackers grill, fish, which means more weight in our backpacks. So we want to buy new backpacks suited for more wight say around 35 lbs. I am wanting a Aether she is wanting the Aura so my question is back 15 years ago she was measured as a small but right on the borderline between small and medium the salesman told us she could quite possible ware the medium, now though Osprey has that adjustment system so I assume that she could buy a medium for the extra space and be just fine what do you think?

0 Likes
3 Replies

I got the Osprey Aura 50 a few months ago for my first backpacking trip and I loved it! I'm 5'3" and went into our local REI store to be sized and they fit me with a small and it is perfect. The 50L still holds a lot of stuff and was great for our 14 mile roundtrip overnight hike. My pack could have easily fit more food if we were staying another night or two. My pack for that one night weighed in around 23 pounds (if I remember correctly) and I had everything I needed (including an REI Flexlite chair which is well worth the lite weight). We are fairly minimal packers though. Definitely recommend the Aura 50 for 1-3 night trips, but you would probably run out of space for longer trips or carrying larger, heavier items. Good luck in your pack search! 

**I am new to this and am just now seeing you posted your question to "Ask an REI Employee" of which I am obviously not. It showed up in my "Trending Posts" area and I just jumped on it. Sorry! 

0 Likes

@stacyoutdoors8 you are totally welcome to contribute anywhere in the community! We appreciate your perspective and we only pipe in to remind folks that not all responses in this section will come from employees. Thanks for participating!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@James thanks for reaching out to us for advice on your wife's pack! From your description, she'll likely do just fine in the medium size frame, which will give her a bit of extra volume in the pack for gear. That said, if possible, we would recommend having a pack fitter verify the fit to ensure it sits right on her hips and shoulders and it's too big - you can do this at any time at any REI store, or by booking your own fit appointment for a specific day and time in a specific store; hope this helps!

Also, just a heads-up that even though you posted your question on the "Ask an Employee" board, you may get advice and suggestions from other community members. All employees will have a title in the community of "REI Employee," "REI Community Moderator," or "REI Community Manager."

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes