cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: NTN Telemark

REI,

I was planning on coming to the Bozeman, MT shop this week. I know I want to purchase a pair of Scarpa Comp boots and 22 designs OutlawX bindings, but am confused by the blizzard of skis out there to make up my new telemark setup.

I've been skiing on 1996 Scarpa T2s and a bunch of different used downhill skis with BD O2 and O3 bindings. My current skis are BD Crossbows - about 12 yrs(?) old. I've been tele'ing since 1983 and am turning 65 later this year. I plan to use the setup mostly at Discovery. I like powder and crud, and do okay in moguls on the Backside, at least for part of the day.

Any ski recommendations? A buddy of mine loves the Armada 102 (or 106?), any other ideas?

I plan on buying this setup from you in Bozeman, but I don't know what size of boots to get. I believe my T2s are 9 or 9.5 (as are most of my shoes).

Thanks for any info and opinions.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @UptownLarry !

Thanks for the great question!

Let's get boots out of the way- trying on a few pairs to find the perfect size is definitely the right way to go. If you want to start that process sooner, you can order your boots online at REI.com to be delivered to you, or call our sales and customer support line at 1-800-426-4840. One of our awesome staff will be happy to get the ball rolling.

On to skis, Armada makes a great set of boards- I'd say your friend's recommendation is a good one. I'd also take a look at the DPS Wailer Foundation 100RP and/or Foundation 106. These skis are just flat-out fun in soft snow, and are responsive and nimble for mogul skiing as well. The Black Diamond Helio 95 & Helio 105 are also great for Tele skiing too- less playful than the wailer, but lightweight and precise for skiing with finesse.

The common element of all these skis, and what makes them ideal for telemark, is a progressive flex pattern at the front of the ski and enough tip rocker to keep afloat in deeper snow. A ski that is very stiff at the tip and has little rocker is more likely to dive in deep snow- especially your back ski when turning. Also, a softer flex at the tip will make it easier for your ski to bend and slide over moguls.

I hope this is helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Enjoy your turns!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks! Great comment

Now I have a pair on the way to me.

0 Likes
9 Replies

@REI-ReinkeM any suggestions here?!

0 Likes

To clarify, I know the stores are closed, but in any case, I plan on buying the three items when you reopen. I believe it may take a bit of time to get a couple pairs of different-sized boots to the store, so that's why I am asking now. I had planned on calling the store today.

0 Likes

Hi @UptownLarry !

Thanks for the great question!

Let's get boots out of the way- trying on a few pairs to find the perfect size is definitely the right way to go. If you want to start that process sooner, you can order your boots online at REI.com to be delivered to you, or call our sales and customer support line at 1-800-426-4840. One of our awesome staff will be happy to get the ball rolling.

On to skis, Armada makes a great set of boards- I'd say your friend's recommendation is a good one. I'd also take a look at the DPS Wailer Foundation 100RP and/or Foundation 106. These skis are just flat-out fun in soft snow, and are responsive and nimble for mogul skiing as well. The Black Diamond Helio 95 & Helio 105 are also great for Tele skiing too- less playful than the wailer, but lightweight and precise for skiing with finesse.

The common element of all these skis, and what makes them ideal for telemark, is a progressive flex pattern at the front of the ski and enough tip rocker to keep afloat in deeper snow. A ski that is very stiff at the tip and has little rocker is more likely to dive in deep snow- especially your back ski when turning. Also, a softer flex at the tip will make it easier for your ski to bend and slide over moguls.

I hope this is helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Enjoy your turns!

0 Likes

@REI-ReinkeM 

Okay, I went for it. Just purchased Armada 108 Tracers and Outlaw X bindings from REI online. Tomorrow, I hope to buy the Scarpa Comps (with the 20% discount) if any are left in my size.

Question is, will the Bozeman REI store mount the bindings for me once the shop opens again? Would the mounting come free? I wouldn't trust anyone in our city to do it properly.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

@UptownLarry 

That sounds like an awesome setup! The Tracer 108 is a great ski for doing all the things you described in your original post.

I just confirmed with our store team that they WILL be able to mount your Outlaw X bindings in Bozeman- keep checking back with us for when that store will open up.

Mounting services are 50% off regular price when you buy your equipment (skis, boots, or bindings) from REI, so we've got you covered there!

Thanks for stopping by to ask these questions- we're always glad to help! Feel free to reach out if we can help with anything else!

0 Likes

Gosh,

I still have another question about the Scarpa NTN boots. I wonder whether the Comps or Pros would be better for me. I'm moving up from 1996 T2's, so the change will be significant. I thought the Comps were less stiff than the Pros, but now I see I was wrong. Is the difference in a 110 vs 125 flex significant? I tried on my friends Comps, and boy they are stiff. What about the forward cant? I assume it's harder to stand up straight on the Comps?

Luckily you still have both in my size!

0 Likes

@UptownLarry, tagging @REI-ReinkeM so he knows you have another question! 

0 Likes

Hi @UptownLarry !

You've got it right: The Comp is significantly stiffer than the Pro. You would definitely notice the difference between them.

Scarpa built the Comp for skiers who are charging hard and fast all the time. You'll notice a difference in forward cant- the Comp is designed to keep those knees forward and bent.

Folks I've talked to have also noted a fairly significant difference in sensitivity between the two boots as well. The Pro will give much better feedback and 'feel' for what's going on under your feet.

Based on what you described in your posts about how you like to ski, I'd point you toward the Scarpa Pro. You're still going to see a significant performance boost by moving to a more modern boot.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes

Thanks! Great comment

Now I have a pair on the way to me.

0 Likes