cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Native Eyewear --Beware! Struggles with replacement parts

I have purchased three pairs of Native Eyewear sunglasses from REI since 2017. Love them, but tried to order replacement parts and the company is non-responsive. An automated response sends me to a website called "luxotica," but they do not list Native Eyewear as one of their supported companies.

Very frustrating to have $100+ glasses that need parts (notepads, lens....)

Anyone else had this problem?

61 Replies

Adding myself to the list of people disappointed with the Luxottica acquisition of Native Eyewear. Nice brand swallowed up by the largest owner of sunglasses in the world.  I had a pair of Catamounts where a lens broke, not from misuse. Luxottica confirmed it was covered under warranty. I will say the support for getting the replacement was pretty smooth. Unfortunately the model I have was "discontinued" (just a SKU change) so they could not replace with the "same" glasses.  I had to send in everything (glasses, spare lenses, case, bag) to get replacement. Warranty replacement is only glasses and cloth case. I lost my hard case (better protection) and a spare pair of lenses in the warranty replacement. Effectively they took things away from me to replace something covered under warranty. I was also looking for spare parts (lenses) because I do like the glasses and really missed them. They said there are not spare lenses that can be ordered for Native. They claimed this was temporary but could not confirm when/if this would change.

Unless Native/Luxottica makes spare parts available in the near future I would not recommend buying anything from them going forward. I was fully prepared to buy a second pair of the sunglasses the second my replacement arrived. I'm not putting that idea on hold and will start looking for a replacement brand that is not under the Luxottica companies, if that's possible.

Seems like REI is also carrying fewer variations of Native Eyewear glasses, wonder if it is due to the changes since Luxottica purchased them?

0 Likes

Yet another excellent sunglass brands has fallen to the mediocrity that is luxotica. The previous customer service you received from Native will no longer be available and any hope of customer service is forgotten. Most likely still quality eyewear, but zero customer service.

0 Likes

Would you have a pair of distiller sunglasses by negative? I need a right side earpiece as I broke mine the other day.

image.jpg

0 Likes

@bsmithrocks

Thanks for reaching out, although we are sorry that it is because your sunglasses have broken.

We do not have any pairs of the Native Distiller Sunglasses, nor do we have any replacement parts available. Your best bet is to follow the instructions contained in this thread:

"We encourage you to read through the 6th response on the second page, and 9th response on the 3rd page. Those two responses contain all the detail we have regarding Native Sunglasses and the limited warranty offered by Luxottica. Luxottica is not currently offering replacement parts for Native Sunglasses, only the option of replacing your sunglasses if they qualify under their warranty. If your sunglasses were purchased at REI within the last year, then they would still be covered under our return policy. We encourage you to speak with one of our customer service representatives, either at your local REI store or our sales and customer service team at 1-800-426-4840."

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Pointing someone to a response saying that it's a similar policy to other brands is far from helpful. The bottom line remains, REI sold these sunglasses by repeating they had lifetime warranties. The warranty was changed after purchase, and REI won't take any responsibility, it's all the manufacturer's fault. Well, it's both party's fault and REI still has an ethical obligation. This is part of the decline of REI and why I now spread my money over several outdoor retailers. If they're all the same, why go with you?

0 Likes

The problem still exists. I need new nose pieces for my three pairs of Navtive sunglasses. I was going to go on line to purchase this past weekend. I got directed to Luxotica and they are 100% worthless. I felt like a gerbal in a treadmill. Their emails direct you to their website which does not allow you to purchase Native parts. When I got on chat with a customer service agent she told me to fill out a warrenty claim which wanted receipts and photos. I ended up calling Native and got to speak to a wonderful CS agent by indicating I wanted to purchase new product. She is working to get me the replacement parts or replacement glasses (why sell me replacement parts when you can give me all new glasses). 

Too bad a wonderful company is going down the tube. Sad to see

0 Likes

Hey everyone.

I just had a pair of Native Ward shades (tortoise shell) from maybe 2016 or so successfully warranted through Luxottica.  My dog had chewed the ends of the ear pieces as a pup like 3 years back, so I was shocked when they said it'd be a free warranty replacement as a result of the rubber coming off the ear pieces (and scratched up lenses over time).  I honestly had hoped for a few bucks off on a new pair, so I was very pleased.

Unfortunately, they no longer make the Ward... and I'm not super keen on the Distiller, which is considered the replacement.  I'm not complaining about free shades, though- so I guess what I mean to say is:  Unlike so many in this thread who've had a bad experience, mine was quite good.  Maybe it's worth giving another shot.

That being said, with the prices having risen 50% or so, the excellent value that Native used to present has diminished a fair bit, I think- but if their warranty support stays similar to this, it may still be worth while.

0 Likes

I just had a pair of Native Ward shades (tortoise shell) from maybe 2016 or so successfully warranted through Luxottica.  My dog had chewed the ends of the ear pieces as a pup like 3 years back, so I was shocked when they said it'd be a free warranty replacement as a result of the rubber coming off the ear pieces (and scratched up lenses over time).  I honestly had hoped for a few bucks off on a new pair, so I was very pleased.

So you kept your receipt for five years for a pair of sunglasses?  Not many would do that.

0 Likes

i, too, have been an ardent fan and customer of Natives for 25 years. i used to work at an outfitter and recommended these sunglasses so highly that i helped create loyal Native customers for many years.

recently, i went to buy replacement parts and went through the completely asinine and wholly unsuccessful rigmarole of registration, emails, and multiple phone calls to Luxotica  and still can't replace the broken arm or get replacement lenses. 

that on top of the fact that the lifetime warranty that once was so stellar is now a limited lifetime warranty that only covers very specific manufacturer defects.   the lifestyle warranty that set Native apart and kept me coming back and gifting Natives to friends and family for 25 years is no longer. 

i still have one functional pair left and am sad to say it will be my last. the finish on this newer pair of Natives is peeling horribly and my lenses are scratched.  it's time to buy a new set of glasses and for the first time in a quarter decade, i will be buying a different brand.  they're no longer made well or repairable. i can't believe i'm typing this, but honestly, they're not worth the hassle.

0 Likes

I am shocked and frustrated to go online today hoping to buy replacement lenses for my Native shades only to discover they no longer offer replacement lenses. 

I have been loyally buying only Native sunglasses for over 10 years. I am about to go shopping for a new brand to use and will not be buying Native ever again. 

0 Likes