cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Maglite AA

The Lite is not working, maybe because of bad batteries.  However, the batteries are stuck inside.  I tried everything that made sense to remove them short of beating the Lite with a hammer. Any other ideas?

4 Replies

@Igor Thanks for reaching out!

Based on some other customer feedback it looks like there might be an issue with your flashlight. When you unscrew the bottom of the flashlight the batteries should just slide right out with no resistance. I would recommend taking the flashlight to your local REI store and have them take a look at it and see what they can figure out with you. 

I hope this helps, thanks!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @Igor .  I doubt that there is anything wrong with the flashlight.  This issue is most likely caused by the batteries being old.  As the batteries age and lose their charge, they begin to swell, which seizes them inside the barrel of the flashlight.  Maglites are designed with close tolerances in the battery compartment.  

I have had this exact situation with the "D" cell Maglites.  There are a number of ways to try and remove the batteries.  You can try soaking the compartment with a penetrating solvent.  Silicone is best as it won't corrode the electrical components. If they are not swollen too badly, they may come out then with repeated tapping of the flashlight onto a wooden surface. You can drill a hole in the battery and insert a screw to use as a handle.  Or, you can replace the flashlight.

Once you get the batteries out, or if you get a new light, I strongly suggest silicon dielectric grease to coat the battery compartment before inserting new batteries, and replace the batteries frequently, before they go dead.

Good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

One other thought I had is to gently warm the outside of the flashlight with a hair dryer (or heat gun if you have one).  The aluminum shell of the maglite may expand enough to allow the batteries to slide out.  Use extreme caution though as excessive heat may cause burns, warp the maglite shell, or, in a worst case, cause the batteries to explode.  NO OPEN FLAMES!!!

Again, good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Igor thanks for reaching out for help! As you may have noticed, even though you posted your question on the "Ask an REI Employee" board, you may get ideas and suggestions from other community members as well. Just know you can identify employee responses with the "REI Employee," "REI Community Moderator," and "REI Community Manager" titles.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes