cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Looking for advice for a bike for my 12 year old!

My son is 12 and 57.5 inches tall.  We like the Co-op Rev 24, but I think he'll grow out of it too quickly (it says its for riders 50-58").  He's not an avid biker, and not super confident on a bike, and so we want something solid but not too pricey.  Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Re: Looking for advice for a bike for my 12 year old!

Hi @BuckleyNJ ,

Thanks for your excellent question!

It is always a challenge to find a bike that is both a correct (and confidence inspiring) size that also leaves some room to grow! That being said, I think a great option would likely be the Co-op Cycles DRT 1.0. This bike has 26" wheels (so it will be noticeably larger than the 24” bike due to the wheel size) and is sized to accommodate riders roughly 55”-60" tall. It was actually developed to help create a solution for riders who are "in between" a kids bike with 24" wheels and an adult bike (which are now 27.5" or 29" wheels): a huge jump!

The other thing to consider is that Co-op bikes (generally speaking) have a low and accommodating top tube (the part of the bike that you stand over when not on the seat). Being able to stand over the frame of the bike with your feet flat on the ground without any significant body contact is super important for confidence and mitigating the risk of injuring yourself when riding. The Stand-over Height of the DRT 1.0 is listed at 648mm. You could take an inseam measurement and compare this to the Stand-over Height to get an idea of whether this may be problematic or not for this bike size.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Happy trails,

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes