cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a backpacking tent for 2 big people

Hello,

I'd like to buy a 3 season tent for backpacking for my husband and myself.  We're both bigger people (tall, wide shoulders).  Also, he's new to backpacking and a little hesitant, so I'd like there to be a little extra space than a typical 2-person backpacking tent, for his comfort.  I am not necessarily looking for an ultra-light tent.  I'm hoping to find either an especially roomy 2-person 3-season backpacking tent, or maybe a 3-person one.  Do you have any suggestions? 

Thanks for any tips!

Laura

0 Likes
2 Replies

@laurae thanks for reaching out - fun question! The REI Half Dome 3 Plus Tent is probably great for what you're describing! It would give you 92" in length and extra space for just the 2 of you, plus a full-coverage rainfly and an intuitive set-up. If that feels too big, you could size down to the REI Half Dome 2 instead. We always recommend buying a footprint to go with your tent, to help extend the life of your tent and protect against moisture coming up from the ground. Hope that helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks! I'm going to go ahead with this recommended REI Half Dome 3 Plus Tent. 

We have had a lot of positive experiences with face-to-face interactions with REI employees.  That's why I wanted to ask the online community about how to buy a tent.  I don't currently live close to a store so it

is woderful knowing that an REI representative is close by . 

-Laura

sf