cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Kayak Paddle Advice: How do I know the right size?

I've been reading a lot about paddles, and am confused now.  When I held a paddle up vertically, and had my fingers curl over the top as instructed, it appears that a 190cm was the correct length for me.  I am 5'2" tall.  But when I see information or charts as to correct paddle length, they are also taking width of the boat into consideration.  My kayak is 30" wide, and it seems I am finding recommendations for paddles of 230cm.  Considerable difference.  Do you have any info that might be helpful for me?  My kayak is a Pelican Blitz.    I'm also finding the disparity with my boyfriends situation.  His vertical test came up with 210cm.  He has a Lifetime Teton Angler kayak, also about 30" wide.  We are fairly novice at this, and not sure which paddles to buy.  Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hi @cinnia! Thanks for your question. We recommend using your height and width of the boat as the best starting place for sizing your paddle. Here's a great article on choosing the right paddle: How to Choose Kayak Paddles. So, according to this info I would recommend a 230cm paddle for you. And your boyfriend could certainly use this guide as well. Hope this helps! Happy paddling!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks Bree.......this helps.......although I suppose we won't be needing them for a bit now, as I hear we go on lockdown starting Tuesday!  Gives me plenty of time to do my research!

0 Likes

Hello @cinnia@REI-BreeM gave you some great advice on choosing paddles. Once you have your new paddles, check out REI's guide on basic paddle strokes . Knowing how to use the paddle will let you paddle more efficiently and spend more quality time on the water. Enjoy!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks Eric, I will do that!

0 Likes