cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Kalahari in summer

I can't tell which out of the available options of sun protection shirts are best for extreme heat. I need one for a woman, one for a girl, and one for a man. Long sleeve and white are a given, but I don't want to assume that Savannah is less well suited for intense deserts than Sahara just because of the name : ) Any other tips of taking a child through the Namibian desert during the hot season are also welcome.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@dknudsen thank you for reaching out!

Some of the things to consider when selecting clothing for warm temperatures, like the summers in Kalahari, are fabrics, ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) rating, and fit.  Most of our sun protective clothing will be made from polyester/nylon fabrics to wick moisture and because they provide better sun protection than natural fibers.  We advise finding clothing that fits loosely to allow proper ventilation, but also because a garment that’s stretched can become significantly less effective at blocking UV light.

The major differences between the Savannah long-sleeve shirt and Sahara long-sleeve shirt are the durable water repellent (DWR) finish, found only in the Savannah shirt, to shed light rain and a higher UPF rating. It doesn’t sound like rain will be an issue for you, so the Sahara sounds like a better fit for your needs!

Here are a couple of options for you:

Women’s:

Men’s:

Kids:

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes