cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: If I wear a size 7 in Altra Mid RSM Hiking Boots would I then wear the same in the Oboz?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: If I wear a size 7 in Altra Mid RSM Hiking Boots would I then wear the same in the Oboz?

@renwest 

Thanks for reaching out!

Both Altras and Oboz run pretty close to true to size, however, the foot-shape construction of your Altras means they will likely feel roomier, particularly in the toe box. If that space is something you appreciated about your Altras, you'll likely benefit by moving up a size in Oboz, or going with a wide.

Another option would be to book a virtual outfitting appointment with one of our expert boot fitters. They can talk to you about your needs, help measure your feet, address any issues, and help find the best fit for you. 

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hate to disagree with you, John, but I've spent a lot of time in both brands. I consistently take a 9.5 in Oboz and a 10 in Altra. This might be a good time to spend some time at REI trying them on before you buy. You can never go wrong letting your feet pick 'em out.

@TomIrvine 

Appreciate your perspective! Disagreement is always welcome, except when talking about the best cookies on the trail ( 1. Homemade chocolate chip, 2. Girl Scouts Thin Mints, 3. Lorna Doone shortbread). Footwear can be a very tricky thing to get correct, in terms of fit, even when you're able to try shoes on. The more experiences we have to draw from the better!

Thanks!

@renwest 

Thanks for emailing us back with some more information! We're going to post it here in the community so others can weigh in with their thoughts or consider it when they are thinking about purchasing new footwear as well.

I have a narrow foot with a high arch.
In fact, when measured everyone puts me in a size 8. All different brands and they are too long. You can stick several fingers behind the heel. One of the REI folks put me in the 7 size and much better. I think maybe the toe box was too wide in the Altra and the trail runners didn’t offer the toe support in the down hills. Rock scrambles were painful! At the time I bought those I had also heard about the oboz - so I didn’t want to buy too short or long. I might have to go into the store ( which I wanted to avoid) or buy the 7...

Thanks

Based on the information you included in your email I would say that you will likely not want to size up. Often times Altras are appealing to wearers because it gives their foot enough room to flex and move. However, sometimes there can be too much of a good thing as may be the case for you. In my experience with Altras, I have to make sure I am re-lacing them if I am facing any significant or sustained downhill sections of trails. I have high volume (nearly wide) feet and when I wore Oboz (admittedly several years ago) I needed to go up a size to accommodate that feature of my feet. It does not sound like that is an issue for you.

If you want to avoid going into the store, I would suggest considering that virtual outfitting appointment with one of our boot fitters. It is a free service offered by REI and we have gotten very good feedback from customers.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!
0 Likes

@renwest as a fellow narrow footed human, I have found Oboz to fit just right. I measure, on a Brannock device, at a 7.5 (A-B width) and found the Oboz Bridger perfect in an 8. That said, fitting feet is SO hard online so @REI-JohnJ's suggestion for a virtual outfitting appointment or heading into a store, as @TomIrvine suggested, are both really good ideas! Hope this helps, and good luck! 

0 Likes

Two things:

1 - I sense a new thread on the way about trail cookies.

B. Both my wife and I have had excellent experiences with the "shoe-fitters" at several different REI stores. (Spokane, WA and Rochester, NY) They have been thorough and patient.

0 Likes