cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hydration reservoir for AT

Hi, I have purchased Sawyer Mini two pak and the Fast Fill Adaptor kit. The advice i would like is on what Reservoirs would be compatible with the Sawyer items already purchased... would they work with the Platypus Big Zip EVO? is there another reservoir that you could suggest that would not have bad taste and that would stand up to a long hike like the AT (not leak)?   

2 Replies

@donduffield Great question!

Just to clarify, are you asking if the Sawyer Mini will work with the Platypus Big Zip EVO as an in line filter? If so, the Big Zip Evo has a 5/16" hose and the Sawyer Mini requires a 1/4" diameter hose. The Hydrapak Reservoirs have a 1/4" tube in them so those should work for you! Hydrapak are durable and should work great for a long hike. I will say that if you are consistently filling a bladder with dirty water and filtering it in line on the hose you will encounter the water having a bad taste over time. I definitely recommend washing it out and making sure you are backflushing the filter to keep it clear. 

I hope this helps, thanks!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@donduffield I just went out on the sales floor and I wanted to add that the Osprey Reservoirs are also 1/4" tubing and should work with the Sawyer system. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes