cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How are Chacos Supposed to fit?

I bought two pairs of Chacos, Zcloud and then Original. I am normally a size 8.5 but I heard they run large so I bought a size 8 in both. Are these too big based on the pictures?

They are comfortable, I just don't want to take them on the trail and trip over the toe portion. I walked around the grocery store for about an hour today with them and they didn't cause problems but that doesn't mean they won't be an issue on terrain. 

Also: any advice on what to do with the strap? It kinda hangs on the ground. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
3 Replies

@HoughtonLikeTheLake hmmm, for some reason the images are showing up in your post. We'll keep checking to see if they appear, but a few thoughts for now:

• If your feet measure at an 8.5, it's very unlikely you'd want to go all the way down to a 7 - so likely the 8 is the right size
  • If you feel anything underfoot, typically you'd want to feel the arch of the Chaco hitting further back (towards your heel) vs. further forward (towards the ball of your foot) - sometimes your foot length and arch length are different from each other, and that can become quite noticeable in shoes with substantial arch support (like Chacos) - further back usually means you've got the right shoe/arch length
  • Because Chacos tend to attach snugly to your foot, it's unlikely that a little extra room at your toes will cause problems with tripping - that said, much more than a thumb-press in front of your big toe and you might want to reconsider the size
  • The extra strap - once you decide to keep the Chacos, and know how tightly you want the straps pulled, you can actually cut the dangling end of the strap so that it still hangs (leave ~2-3 inches so you can still loosen the strap) but doesn't drag on the ground, then burn the newly cut edge to ensure it doesn't fray - and if you don't feel comfortable doing this, your local REI store will likely have a rope cutting hot blade that can make the cut and burn for you

Hope this helps a bit!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I hope they show up now. And by thumb press do you mean vertically or horizontally? Would cutting the strap void the warranty? if the warranty is void does that mean I cant send them in for repairs through ReChacos? 

chacos.jpgchacos2.jpg

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@HoughtonLikeTheLake those pictures work!

Thumb-press would be horizontal across your toes (which is actually a good fitting tip for running and hiking shoes and boots) so the fit looks okay on your Chacos although you wouldn't want them any longer! Some folks find they aren't able to wear Chaco sandals because their arch length and foot length are too different...

In terms of a return, we have a two-fold answer:

• If you are thinking about the REI return policy, shortening the strap would not impact your ability to return or exchange the shoes within one year of purchase
  • If you are thinking about Chaco's warranty, we would recommend connecting with them directly - it looks like they offer a strap-shortening service for a small fee

Hope this helps - let us know if you have any more questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.