cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking Waterproof Mids - Ankle Sore

Hi I’ve tried 4 pairs of REI Mid waterproof hiking boots and all rubbed my inside R ankle bone the wrong way.  Is there a soft(er) boot you would recommend?  If not could you recommend a top quality waterproof hiking quality shoe?  I have a narrow foot and currently wear Oboz, which make my feet a lot less sore than my old Merrills.  I am leaving on an 11 day mountain hiking trip in 5 weeks.  Thanks!  Bruce

1 Reply

@Bruce1 Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with so many hiking boots. While it is nearly impossible to diagnose or find a solution for fit issues without fitting you in person, we can make a few suggestions that can help guide you in your decision making process. Our first recommendation is to make an outfitting appointment at your local REI with a footwear fit expert. They can help you get the right fit and talk through any issues you may have. Be sure to ask if they are able to (or if there are any speciality boot fitters in your town who can) do any custom manipulation of the boot, it's fairly uncommon but if you aren't able to solve your issue with the right fit, it might be the next step.

Here are a couple of options of softer hiking boots you may want to try:

You did mention that you had tried Merrell's before so I apologize if you've already tried those particular model. Also, both of those brands tend to run a bit on the roomy side so if your foot is narrow they may not work.

If you have Oboz boots that are working okay except for the ankle, we recommend looking in to some Oboz hiking shoes. In fact, depending on the model of boot that you have, you may be able to find the same version of your boot in a shoe. Additionally, Vasque footwear tends to run a bit narrower so they might be worth your time to check out.

Hope this helps, best of luck, and have an awesome hiking trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes