cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Help selecting a boot that's compatible with crampons for medium and high mountains

0 Likes
6 Replies

A little more information would be useful in giving you information.  What specifically do you mean by medium and high.  What seasons are you contemplating?  Specific peaks??

There is a big difference between an icy couloir in the summer and the same terrain in winter and different boots for those conditions are essential.

Today, most crampons are adjustable and can fit  wide variety of boots.

IANARE.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

lemme guess...I am not an rei employee?

Brilliant!  May I steal that? lol

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

You win the grand prize11  Royalty payments are waived.😁

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@hikermor @Philreedshikes absolutely love that you two have created an acronym for identifying employee status! For what it's worth, we're okay if you leave out this detail...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @Andres93  - It’s exciting to hear you have some adventures lined up requiring crampons! We have lots of different options of crampon-compatible boots, so it’s best to have some more info before we suggest any specific brands and models of boots.

Do you already have crampons and are looking for boots that will work with them? If not, we have a great Expert Advice article on picking crampons. And, as @hikermor  asked, where are you headed? Knowing the destination/terrain will help with recommendations. In general, true mountaineering boots allow you to use hybrid or step-in crampons, while hiking/backpacking boots work with strap-on crampons. With hiking/backpacking boots, you are usually looking for a stiff sole and a lip on the back of the boot.

And final thought - finding the right boot can be tricky online, so we always recommend either visiting an REI store or setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment to make sure you have the ideal set-up.

Hope this is a good start. Good luck with your trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have a very short crampon story.  When I was climbing the Matterhorn, I had crampons on my Koflach plastic boots for mixed sections. 

I was on a very steep vertical rock pitch when the crampon on my right boot came off!  Fortunately, the upper strap held and it just dangled there until I was able to re-attach it as soon as I reached a safe 'platform'.

The summit/near summit ice fields were especially sketch, so I made sure they were clamped on tight!

end of story.

Matterhorn SummitMatterhorn SummitMatterhorn sectionMatterhorn section

Matterhorn sectionMatterhorn section

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes