cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Gear Advice - UL Backpacking Tent

Hello-

I'm looking to replace my end-of-life Quarter Dome from 2012.  I would like a new UL (or close to) 2P backpacking tent  Most of my recreation is spent kayak camping with some backpacking.  Durability and weather worthiness are more important than weight to me.  I've been looking at the following and any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

-Nemo Dagger 2

-MSR Hubba Hubba

-Big Agnes Copper Spur

-Sea to Summit Telos (looks intriguing enough to take my chances without any reviews existing yet)

Thank you!

Keep Calm and Paddle On
0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @KayakTony - sounds like you've had some great adventures with your REI Quarter Dome over the years!

Those are all great options for tents (I haven't gotten my hands on the Sea to Summit Telos yet to be able to provide first-hand knowledge, but the Backpackers Magazine Editor's Choice Award is a good sign). I might also suggest adding:

1. The REI Half Dome SL2+ Tent to your list. It's kind of a blend between the older Quarter Domes and the Half Dome tents. We still make the REI Quarter Dome SL2 Tent but it is now a semi-freestanding tent, and since the above options are all "freestanding tents" (still need to stake them out, of course!), I'm assuming the Half Dome SL2+ will give you a more similar experience to what you have been used to.

2. The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Bikepack Tent - it is very similar to the Copper Spur version you listed; however, it has shorter pole sections because it is designed to fit on handlebars. Since you mentioned using it for kayak camping most frequently, the shorter pole sections might give you a little more flexibility in how you pack it in your dry storage.

Otherwise, you listed some really great options for tents. I bet you will be happy with any of those tents, and when deciding, I would consider how much internal space you want (the Nemo Dagger has very vertical walls so it feels nice and roomy inside) vs how light you want to go (the Big Agnes Copper Spur is lightweight and fairly roomy, considering) vs how it will pack in your kayak (again, the Copper Spur Bikepack version has the shortest pole sections).

I hope this was helpful! Enjoy your upcoming adventures!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.