cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Garmin - excluded from 20% coupon

So I waited all year and used my REI Co-op credit card to get a dividend, my plan was to buy the Garmin edge 530 at the yearly 20% off sale. I went to buy and was told it was not eligible. I checked Backcountry.com and they are happy to give me 20% off. This really frustrates me, I’ve always been a big fan of REI but now I just want my cash back and to  trade in my card, why can’t REI dothe same thing as back country?

0 Likes
3 Replies

@Jeffk Thanks for reaching out.

We are sorry that you are frustrated. We can only speak to our own business, and at REI all items with GPS technology are excluded from our member 20% coupon. If you would like cash back for your dividend we have a process for that: from July 1 through January 3 of the following year prior to expiration, you can request to cash out your dividend at your local REI store or by contacting sales at customer service at 1-800-460-4840 to receive a check.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Just curious, as an REI member since the early '70s, I've always found it frustrating that certain things, like GPS (and usually bikes, right?) are almost always excluded from sales, whereas they are generally easy to find discounts on elsewhere.  It's not the end of the world, I don't have to by *everything* from REI, but I'm a little curious why REI behaves so differently than other retailers in this regard.  Are REI members fundamentally different than everyone else in that they have no price sensitivity to these items and offering the normal discounts would not increase sales?

0 Likes

@d_rosky thanks for the question!

Although it's true that we often have standard exclusions with our member-only coupons (like electronics, bikes, ski/snowboard gear), we typically include select items from those categories in each sale event that we have. So, for example with our current Anniversary Sale, while bikes and electronics are excluded from the 20% coupon, we have all Co-op Cycle bikes and select Garmin items on sale!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes