cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Footwear Fit Advice: recommendation for walking shoes re pronation, high instep

I bought new Brooks Beasts which I now use for walking instead of running.  The new model has a tighter toe and a result, developed plantar fascia.  I wore Brooks for years bec of pronation ( size 11.5) 

Am now wearing old Filas with a sole insert, which is helping with the plantar fascia.  Comfortable for 4-5 miles, but would like to get back to longer mileage.

Anyway, would appreciate a recommendation for a quality walking shoe that can compensate for high arches and pronation.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
2 Replies

@mike2 thanks so much for reaching out! We'll tag a few of our footwear experts so they can provide some suggestions. @REI-PearlD@REI-ErinC@REI-CharityP@REI-ShannonO    

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @mike2!

Plantar Fascitis can be so frustrating, but I'm glad you've found a temporary workaround so you can get out and enjoy your miles!

The Brooks Beast is known as a "motion control" shoe for pronation. It features some of the strongest pronation control of any shoe in the market with a really beefy "medial post" or plastic/foam combo toward the back and inside of the shoe. The foam is probably a different color back there, and it's very firm to the touch.

At REI, that shoe is the only offering we have in terms of motion control. There are a few other options with slightly less pronation control, but with a high amount of comfort. I'd recommend taking a look at the Asics Gel Kayano 26, which comes in both standard and wide width. The shoe features pronation control technology that is similar to, but not quite as robust as the Beast, and has plenty of space for both a high foot profile and/or an extra insert. 

I'd also check out the Altra Paradigm 4.5, especially if you need a slightly wider fit in the toebox. The Altra Paradigm features guiderails to support overpronation, which are again, less-robust than the Beast, but will also support a high volume foot and an insert. 

You might also consider a light hiking shoe. While hiking shoes don't feature overpronation control, they are generally less-flexible than a traditional running or walking shoe, which can sometimes be a fit preference for those managing plantar pain. Check out the Keen Targhee Vent Low for a stiff, low hiking boot. 

As you consider your next shoe, make sure you're testing the fit with any plantar socks or inserts you wear on your daily walks, and with the socks you normally use as well. Finally, running shoes generally have a lifespan of 300-500 miles, depending on many factors. Keep in mind that if you're walking several miles in your shoes every day, you'll need to plan on replacing them within a period of a few months. 

I hope these suggestions have been helpful! Let us know what you decide! See you outside!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes