cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Find manufacturing location while looking into product sustainability

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out where the product I'm interested in has been manufactured. The tag includes the country location, but is there a way to decipher the various codes on the tag to find out the exact location/company? And do you have other easy ways for me to trace back a product, to determine just how sustainable it is? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hi @moe - Thanks for reaching out! We love to hear that you're invested in the sustainability of your purchases. 

Is it an REI Co-op Brands product you're looking at? If so, you can respond here with an item name/description or a photo of the tag and we can help you find that information. For products made by other companies, we suggest contacting their customer support teams for specifics on manufacturing practices.

You may also find some valuable information about REI's sustainability practices in our Product Sustainability Standards document. The baseline expectations for products carried by REI are explained there and might have some details that interest you. 

Thanks for bringing this question to the community! Hopefully this helps.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @REI-CarterC,

Thanks so much for your response! The product is part of the REI Co-op Brand, the Rainier Rain Jacket (Blue Clay). I couldn't get a photo to upload on here, but the tag I took a pic of had the following on it:

"127274

20257-S20

37249/46179

VIETNAM/DEC19

06.06OR"

One of the other tags also mentioned that it was from a Fair Trade Certified factory, and had the code "FTS.S20.347" at the bottom of that (in case this can narrow things down as well). 

I've been trying to really determine my overall carbon footprint and do research into the products I purchase, so any info you can give me in regard to the factory location/potential lifecycle of this product would be super appreciated!!

Thank you.

0 Likes

@moe, thanks so much for getting this information to us! We have reached out to our sustainability team and will circle back here when we have additional information for you. 

Hi @moe - Thanks for your patience while we tracked down some more information for you. The Fall 2020 model of the Co-op Rainier rain jacket was made at the Manufacturing Sportwear Joint Stock Company’s Thai Binh branch, located in Thai Binh City, Vietnam.

The Rainier rain jacket is bluesign approved, which means it meets stringent requirements for the health of you, the environment, and the workers who made it. You can find more information on the factors that go into reaching this approved status on bluesign’s website. We know the importance of having information on our specific products’ lifecycle impacts and are currently working on solutions to have that data more accessible, but it is not available currently.

If you are interested in the factory locations of other Co-op Brand products, this Co-op Brands Factory List is updated every six months.

The sustainability of our gear is high priority and we thank you for taking the time to do this research!

Hi @REI-CarterC,

Omg, you're amazing!!! Thanks a ton for tracking down this information. And I love that y'all at REI are focusing on more sustainable solutions for your products. 

I'm also super glad to hear that you're working on making the lifecycles of your products more accessible to us. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any updates on this. 

Thanks again and best regards.

Hi @moe - You're so welcome! Always happy to help find information, especially about sustainability practices that are so important. 

There is one more page that we forgot to include the first time around that you might find interesting. On our Fair Labor Practices page, the section on fair labor in our supply chains is where you can access the updated factory list, as well as other important info. 

Thanks!