cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Favourite warm weather destinations in winter for camping and hiking

What are your favourite winter destinations for camping and hiking in warmer weather?

I am looking for a campsite to stay in February where the weather is warm enough and ideally which I can get to easily enough from an airport and where I can get by without having a car, where I am able to buy food, go on hikes, and live in my backpacking tent for a week or so.

Also I'm looking for a short thru hike trail (or a section of) of 5-7 days to do this February where I can travel light and where there are places to buy food and get water every day.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @sja 

I would highly recommend the Catalina State Park campgrounds in Tucson, AZ. The only box it doesn't "tick" is airport proximity (about an hour from Tucson International tarmac to the park). It offers plenty of established group campgrounds, with a shopping center right across the street. 

As for hiking, it has miles of trails from short day hikes all the way to 15 mile hikes to the top of Mount Lemmon (over 9,000 feet). You can essentially choose your own adventure based on time and what type of hike you'd prefer. Any longer hikes on the trails will allow you to hike through several different biomes as Mt. Lemmon is probably Arizona's most famous "sky island." 

I'd recommend checking out REI Co-Op Hiking Project (a free app) if you'd like to see the trails, photos, and current user reviewed trail conditions. 

Hope this helps! 

Jim 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
3 Replies

@sja thanks for reaching out! Looks like you also posted on the Camping and Backpacking boards, so hopefully you'll get some good recommendations in at least one of those spots! We'll see if we can get a few employees to weigh in here!

Hello @sja 

I would highly recommend the Catalina State Park campgrounds in Tucson, AZ. The only box it doesn't "tick" is airport proximity (about an hour from Tucson International tarmac to the park). It offers plenty of established group campgrounds, with a shopping center right across the street. 

As for hiking, it has miles of trails from short day hikes all the way to 15 mile hikes to the top of Mount Lemmon (over 9,000 feet). You can essentially choose your own adventure based on time and what type of hike you'd prefer. Any longer hikes on the trails will allow you to hike through several different biomes as Mt. Lemmon is probably Arizona's most famous "sky island." 

I'd recommend checking out REI Co-Op Hiking Project (a free app) if you'd like to see the trails, photos, and current user reviewed trail conditions. 

Hope this helps! 

Jim 

Thank you Jim. That's brilliant info. Sounds just like what I'm looking for - assuming that I can get to the Catalina State Park easily enough from Tucson airport. 😀

0 Likes