cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Extended Backpack for 7 - 14 days

Hello,

I watch several YT videos about bug out bags and gear. There is a need to prepare an emergency bag just in case I have to evacuate for some reason. Is there a backpack that could work for long term for a woman. Some people are buying packs that are supposed to last for one year in the woods. I don't think I would last that long...lol I'm thinking of maybe a back that would work for about two weeks. This would be for me and my dog. 

Please, advise and thanks again for your help.

Sandra 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@smariej Thanks for reaching out Sandra!

In terms of the best backpack for what you are looking for, it is really going to come down to how much gear you are planning on taking with you. Generally speaking, if you are planning a trip for 5+ days you are going to want a backpack that is 65 Liters in volume or higher. The Osprey Ariel AG 75, the REI Co-op Traverse 65, and the Kelty Coyote 70 are all good backpacks that fit that volume range. You could even go up to 80+ Liters with the Gregory Deva 80 or the Osprey Xena 85 backpacks.

The pack that works best for you is going to depend on a lot of variables, including terrain, time of year, the climate of where you live, and the gear you have. We have a couple of Expert Advice articles about Emergency Essentials and the Ten Essentials that can give you some good reference points for getting your kit together. It is also very important to make sure that the backpack you choose is the correct fit for you. We recommend going in to your local REI and getting fitted for different backpacks. You can test them out with weight in them to see how they will perform. You can even schedule an outfitting appointment to talk with an in-store expert!

In the end, you want to make sure that the backpack you choose will hold everything you need. Once you get your base kit together (shelter, sleep system, kitchen, clothes, etc.) then the thing that will impact how much room you need in your pack is how much food and water you are planning on carrying with you. 

Hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
2 Replies

@smariej Thanks for reaching out Sandra!

In terms of the best backpack for what you are looking for, it is really going to come down to how much gear you are planning on taking with you. Generally speaking, if you are planning a trip for 5+ days you are going to want a backpack that is 65 Liters in volume or higher. The Osprey Ariel AG 75, the REI Co-op Traverse 65, and the Kelty Coyote 70 are all good backpacks that fit that volume range. You could even go up to 80+ Liters with the Gregory Deva 80 or the Osprey Xena 85 backpacks.

The pack that works best for you is going to depend on a lot of variables, including terrain, time of year, the climate of where you live, and the gear you have. We have a couple of Expert Advice articles about Emergency Essentials and the Ten Essentials that can give you some good reference points for getting your kit together. It is also very important to make sure that the backpack you choose is the correct fit for you. We recommend going in to your local REI and getting fitted for different backpacks. You can test them out with weight in them to see how they will perform. You can even schedule an outfitting appointment to talk with an in-store expert!

In the end, you want to make sure that the backpack you choose will hold everything you need. Once you get your base kit together (shelter, sleep system, kitchen, clothes, etc.) then the thing that will impact how much room you need in your pack is how much food and water you are planning on carrying with you. 

Hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

John,

I will check out the expert advice articles and especially since things can get a little disorganized with trying to put a pack together. 

Great advice!

Thanks again for your help,

Sandra 

0 Likes