cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Eric Artz: Reopening Our Stores

To our co-op community

I’m writing to share some good news. After two months of temporary closures, this week we will begin reopening our stores—just in time to celebrate our 82nd anniversary.  

In some places “opening” will mean curbside service for orders placed online. In others, our doors will open for a limited number of customers. In every case, we’ll be taking precautions for the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities. We’ll have health and safety procedures in place for our store teams, and clear guidance for you on how to shop or do curbside pickup. We’ll also be closely following guidance from national, state and local authorities to make sure we’re operating in compliance with any restrictions in your area.  

We have made significant progress in all of these areas over the last month, and we are ready to begin expanding services in many of our stores. Our hope and expectation is that more than half of our stores will be open for curbside pickup in time for our Anniversary Sale, May 15 - May 25, and a small number of stores will be open for in-store services as well.  

You can find more details about your local store here 

We’re doing our part to make the curbside and in-store experience as safe as possible for everyone, and we need your help. When you come into our stores, our employees will be wearing face coverings, and we’re going to ask that you wear one too. It’s a simple thing that we can all do right now to take care of one another and, if you forget yours, we’ll have disposable face coverings available. 

For anyone who can’t make it to a store, we’ll keep doing our best to get you all the gear, expertise and inspiration you need through our digital channels. We’re offering all the great deals you’d expect during Anniversary Sale at REI.com. In the coming weeks, we’re also rolling out virtual events and gatherings for members, zero-contact shop services for bicycle maintenance at our stores, a virtual outfitting program and an improved returns process.  

Few things make us happier than serving our customers in our stores. The journey is far from over, but we are making progress, and we’re grateful for your support and understanding right now. To everyone who has reached out with a word of encouragement or has helped support local nonprofits through our Outdoor Emergency Fund, thank you.  

There is a spirit of togetherness that has defined your co-op for 82 years, and as we celebrate our anniversary, I’m reminded that right now it’s more important than ever. Be well and take care.   

My best, 

Eric Artz 

President and CEO, REI Co-op

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
118 Replies

@jimrskis Thanks for the feedback.

As we look to ramp up our store operations, the health and safety of our employees and customers is our number one priority. With a growing number of cities and states opening for limited outdoor activity, we will be there to help our community prepare for a return to the outdoors. As we move to expand our services, we will base our progress on four very important factors:  

1. Our ability to establish a set of detailed health and safety protocols
  2. Local community readiness
  3. Federal, state and local guidelines and restrictions
  4. Facility and team operational readiness

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. We look forward to the time we can all, safely, get back out on the trails!

0 Likes

The competition in several states is already open and operating safely for in store shopping, including here in CO.  Curbside pickup doesn't count- that means the REI stores are still shut down. 

REI employees and members thrive on challenges in all areas of life- not just in the outdoors!  No one is going to force people to come in the stores.  We all know how to protect ourselves and make our own decisions in life.  This is what a free market is all about.  Enough is enough of the unconstitutional government dictates and fear mongering!!!  I am proud to be a REI member, and would like to see one of my favorite companies moving faster in standing up to these unlawful dictates!  For both its' employees and its' customers.

0 Likes

I purchased a REI traverse 35 backpack and am new to this.  When will be able to have someone help me with the adjustments and make sure I have the correct size?

@Butch while the majority of our stores remain closed to foot traffic, we would highly recommend setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment with one of our employees. We have received very positive feedback about this service as our employees are able to ask lots of questions, help you measure and assess, and ultimately make recommendations about product choice and fit. If this is not of interest, getting fit in your pack will have to wait until your local REI store reopens fully. Finally, at the bottom of this Expert Advice article on how to choose a daypack, you'll find a section specifically on how the pack should fit. Hope this helps!

0 Likes

@Butch With a Traverse 35, you have a winner.  I purchased one recently, the most recent of quite a few I have owned, and it is definitely a winner.  I recommend the fitting appointment to insure the greatest satisfaction.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Any word on when the Pittsburgh, PA stores may either open or offer curbside pickup?

0 Likes

@ValpoMan unfortunately, we do not have any specific updates that we can share about curbside pickup and reopening plans for our Pittsburgh area REI stores. As you may have seen in earlier responses in the community, as we move to expand our services, we will base our progress on four very important factors:  

1. Our ability to establish a set of detailed health and safety protocols
  2. Local community readiness
  3. Federal, state and local guidelines and restrictions
  4. Facility and team operational readiness

We apologize for not having more details on Pittsburgh specifically - let us know if we can help answer any questions here in the community that may help with product selection, fit, etc.

0 Likes

@ValpoMan in case you hadn't yet seen, we added curbside pickup as an option at our 2 Pittsburgh area REI stores!

0 Likes

Is there any update on the St. Louis store opening? I know a lot of other local stores and malls are opening up or have opened already, hoping REI will follow suit soon! 

0 Likes